2018 Toyota Camry - how did this happen?

Hello,

I have the following issue with my 2018 Toyota Camry and need some ideas or advise on what to do:

In the morning I parked the car and turned off the engine and the car started to roll forward.
I started the car and put it into reverse to repark the car. The car continued to roll forward every time with a knocking noise heard from underneath. Had to use Emergency park brake. That afternoon while driving the vehicle to the dealership to get checked it started making high pitch squealing noises and driving funny.
I was told the transmission would need to be dropped to investigate the issue. I’ve now been told after removal of the transmission that the Park Device is damaged. Metal shavings and other components were found and I need a new transmission.
Is this true, what could have caused this? It’s only 1 ½ years old. The car was not forced into park while moving.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Well , no one can say if that is true over the web . Do you not use your parking brake ? That alone could cause extra wear on the parking pawl .
If it is being repaired by the warranty just relax , while disappointing mechanical things do break.

2 Likes

They are saying there is no warranty on this, this is why I’m asking. Even with the extended warranty we purchased we are not covered.

Look in your owners manual for corporate contact numbers and ask for arbitration . This is not something that can be solved on a web forum . Nothing said here will be of any use . Just because someone here might say it should be covered that will not influence the dealer who has to answer to corporate.

2 Likes

You should have a 60 month/60k mile power train warranty from the factory. I suspect they’re trying to say this is your fault, which would mean they’re not liable.

Given how few people use the parking brake I think they’ll have a tough time winning the claim that it was your fault, but you’ll need to get Toyota corporate involved.

2 Likes

Shifting into PARK while moving and dragging the car while in PARK are the most likely causes for such a failure. Of course parking on Lombard St without using the parking brake and resting on the curb could do some damage.

1 Like

It’s not an emergency parking brake. It’s a regular parking brake, meant to be used every time you park, for exactly this reason.

1 Like

:+1:
This bears repeating!

1 Like

Yes, all that stuff could happen and require replacing the transmission. Usually just the parking pawl would get damaged in situations like this, and the only problem would be putting the transmission in P wouldn’t prevent the car from rolling, you’d be forced to use the emergency brake. In most cases the metal debris drops to the bottom, not causing other problems, but in this case the metal debris must found something else inside the transmission to damage. You got unlucky in other words.

To minimize the chance of getting unlucky again suggest to park the car using the following method

1. Come to a complete stop in D.
  2. Continue to hold your foot firmly on the brake pedal, then shift to N.
  3. Set the emergency brake.
  4. Remove foot from the brake pedal and verify car doesn’t roll
  5. Put transmission in P

Shifting into P when the car is still slightly rolling is a common cause. Here’s some good, easy to understand info on how that parking pawl gadget works and what it looks like.