2018 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Lags

subaru

Like most manual transmission cars, my 2018 Subatu WRX Premium lags RPM when I start out in first gear. Why does this happen? And, is this okay?

I have no idea what you mean . Second , a 2018 has a warranty so ask the dealer and also show them what you think is wrong.

I also don’t understand what you mean. Please explain it in different words.

Thanks for your reply and interest.

Let’s see…a more detailed description. When the car is idling and I put the gear shift in first gear, I notice that when I engage the clutch and press the accelerator, the engine RPMs first dip/lower before the engine increases RPMs. This occurs no matter how slowly or quickly I engage the clutch. If I want a VERY fast 0-60 start, this does not occur. But, the WRX is my daily driver; I’m not “racing” it around town.

I’ve noticed this same engine RPM down-lag-at-initial-start-from 0.0 MPH on all my previous manual transmission vehicles. Is this me or is this normal on most/all manual transmission cars.

Regards,

Warren Rubin

I thought manual transmission cars were peppier? isn’t that why some people don’t like automatics? Confused…

To me it just sounds like you are not pressing on the gas peddle enough.
It takes coordination of the left and right foot to accelerate smoothly with a manual transmission.

Yeah, that’s how all manual transmissions work. Slight dip in rpms as you start letting the clutch out.

I’ve noticed this same engine RPM down-lag-at-initial-start-from 0.0 MPH on all my previous manual transmission vehicles. Is this me or is this normal on most/all manual transmission cars.

different cars. same driver. hmm. do the math