2018 Sonata Hybrid Electronic Water Pump issues

Hi folks

Purchased a 2018 sonata Hybrid last year and it’s already in the shop (23k miles)

Warning lights and beeps came on. The dealer says the electronic water pump is faulty and needs to be replaced. This is covered by warranty, so all is well there, but…

My neighbors had a 2016 hybrid Sonata and had their pump fart out twice in less than two years. They’re recommending I get rid of the car.

What are your thoughts? Are the water pumps on these things a perennial issue? Should I sell before the car further depreciates in value?

Sell ? That is your decision and only you know if you can look at the vehicle and wonder if it will get you to the store and back . The replaced water pump will come with a warranty . You will take a hit on the value and your trade in might not even be what you might owe on the vehicle. I guess it was a used purchase. If you do replace it you might consider if you really need a Hybrid . And I certainly would not buy one used .

If I otherwise liked the car, and if every driver knows what to do if the warning lights and beeps come on, I would keep it. An electric water pump is kind of a new thing, but not a complex one. If I ever needed one, I’d get an OEM with the most recent build date, if that can be ascertained.

Maybe my original post was unclear.

My main question is if the electric pump problems on the Sonata are a common issue, or where my neighbors and I just unlucky?

There are no complaints of that nature according to carcomplaints.com.I would guess that most people that had water pump failure did replace them under warranty. Hyundai could issue a recall in the future if a large amount of pump failure occurs.

OEM parts don’t mean that they’re the best parts.

You have to remember that, when a manufacturer requests bids from parts suppliers, the supplier that submits the lowest bid gets the contract.

Tester

… and so after years of getting failed pumps replaced under warranty, it might come upon the OEM that supplier A makes crappy pumps and move contract to supplier B. OEM part number will stay the same and it is a chance that later-dated part will work longer… or maybe not…

That will only happen when the manufacturer depletes the existing stock pile of those defective parts.

Until then, you’ll just keep getting those defective OEM parts.

Tester