2018 Mitsubishi Outlander - Squishy pedal

Is there a fix for a soft brake pedal. My braking is very sluggish and too soft. Can I improve this problem

I am guessing your vehicle is NOT a 2018. Sounds like the brakes need to be bled, if the fluid is more than 3 years old, the brake fluid needs to be flushed.

Has any work ever been done on your brakes so far?

Maybe yes, maybe no…
If the OP’s Outlander is indeed a 2018 model, the one word that he needs to know is…
warranty.

A brand-new vehicle is covered by multiple warranties, and if the OP tries to resolve a problem on his own–instead of having the dealership do it–he runs the risk of voiding at least part of his warranty coverage.
:thinking:

Soft or spongey brake pedal problems are usually caused by

• air in hydraulic system, or
  • deteriorating rubber brake hoses
  • improperly adjusted drum brakes
  • faulty disc brake mechanicals

The air in the system theory is where to start. If you have ABS on your Outlander, bleeding may require a specialized scan tool.

Why would you guess that? A brake caliper failed on my 1991 Jeep Cherokee at less than 4,000 miles.

Because if it is a 2018 it would be a warranty issue.

Thre may be nothing wrong. The 2018 brake pedal may be softer than the OP’s prevous brake pedal. I have a 2016 Acura MDX and a 2018 Acura RDX. The brake pedal on the MDX, and other MDX’s I have owned and driven, have all been “softer” and had more travel then my other Acura’s.
Go to the dealership and check another 2018 Outlander. The feel may be normal.

1 Like