2018 Mazda Mazda6 - Brakes seem expensive

The brake pads on my 2018 Mazda 6 need to be replaced. Rotors may or may not need to be resurfaced. The dealer’s cost seems extreme to me. Wondering if best for me to purchase the pad from Mazda and go to a private shop in the Naples, FL area.

There’s no need to use a dealership for a routine brake pad replacement job ib a 5 year old vehicle imo . Unless you want to do use them b/c they’ve always done a good job before. In any event, whoever you choose for the job, dealer or inde, suggest to not purchase any of the replacement parts yourself. If a replacement part turns out to be faulty, the shop will usually replace it again w/no extra labor fee as long as they installed their own part. If that happens with a part you purchased, the shop will most likely charge you a labor fee to replace the part again.

If you want an inde shop to use the dealer part, and they don’t have a way to get it, make sure you get it in writing, an agreement they’ll replace any faulty part you supply from the dealership for no labor fee.

2 Likes

Thank you very much George!

Gary

You will always pay less at a trusted local shop. You may find this story helpful. It includes an example of the cost to replace brakes on a 2018 Mazda. How Much Do Brakes, Brake Pads and Rotors Cost? - Car Talk

I owned a 2018 Mazda 6 and now my son owns it, along with my 2014 Mazda 6. I use the Raybestos Street Specialty rotors and EHT pads. They work as well as the OEM pads and rotors, last longer, and are way cheaper.

1 Like

Find a good independent shop and have them do the whole job. Don’t bring them the parts. That way if there’s a problem it’s their responsibility to make it right.

I’d replace the pads and rotors.

2 Likes

@GaryA
it is your car- if you are not comfortable with the price, you are welcome to shop around and get a second opinion.

1 Like

Drive toa well rated independent shop in Bonita Springs, Estero or Fort Myers. It will be cheaper the farther north you go. I know, I live there.

1 Like