2018 Lincoln Continental - Bad audio

One more question—do you know the Revel system would have met your standards? Did you test it carefully?

Unfortunately the salesman made a quick get away after we said ok. I blame myself for not doing more hands on research. But I’m going to ask the dealer how they can or will improve it. Thanks

If you can show them something like a failing speaker they will replace it, if not the service department will not attempt to “upgrade” the sound system. Speakers and amplifiers are expensive and the dealer is not going to give these away.

Consumer Reports listed the “highs” for this vehicle; Ride, Quietness, Acceleration, Braking, Interior room. Road noise was not one of their comments.

The 2020 models are now arriving, how long ago did you buy this 2018 Continental?

The Lincoln is supposed to be one of the quieter cars. You might try a shop that specializes in auto sound systems and check if they have a decibel meter. If you car is exceeding 67dB on the highway, that could be your problem… the factory could have missed something. Ask your dealer for a recommendation on who they use for stereos. They usually know a good shop.

These shops can install a good quality pair of speakers for around $150 ($100 for the speakers, $50 installation) in my area. At least one pair, in the doors, might be all you need. They are not the highest quality on the shelf, nor the lowest, but even their worse speakers are better than factory.

Yes, all stereos today (that I’ve seen) use a cabin mic and adjust volume. Cars are noisier on the freeway, so this compensates and distracts from car noise.

I see that Lincoln offers 2 or 3 levels of stereos. I don’t understand that, but all companies do it. At a best guess, it’s like ordering fries… mostly profit. They sell you an upgrade… costs them $50, costs you hundreds. I didn’t see adjustments for your stereo in the manual, but I will bet they are in your touch screen menu. I located them in my economy car with a bit of searching. They can’t turn a lemon into a pie, but made the system live. (Fader balance centers the sound, and the equalizer settings adjusts frequencies to your preference. Factory settings are never right. I spent 10 minute’s in the neighbor’s car when she mentioned hating the radio. Afterwards, she was fine.)

I will bet your stereo is part of the control systems and cannot be replaced. However, speakers can, and a small amp will bring volume up. Even the Kicker Key, a $200 amp (about $350 installed) will give the system added volume and greatly improved clarity, even with the stock speakers. I’m personally looking at a Alpine R-A30F amp (50W x 4 channels), 4 JBL 6520 (or Alpine S65) speakers, misc and installation for $580. The sound quality is good w/o being overpowering. It’s a lot of money, but I plan on keeping the car for a while… and won’t mind being able to blur the mirrors if I desire.

This is the second thread like this lately where someone bought a vehicle and is comparing it to an old vehicle they had. The other one was wanting a new Grand Marquis and now a new 8 or 9 year old Cadillac .

Does it really say hi-fi? I mean, that audio term was cool when my parents were younger than I am now. :wink:

That said, we drive the crap-model Escapes where I work, and the sound system isn’t exactly, uh, “hi-fi,” but you can definitely hear it over the road noise. The same should be true of your system.

However, if you’re looking for sound quality like you’d find in an orchestral hall, well, it’s a car. You’re never gonna get there. Some cars are very, very good but you’re still dealing with a cabin that has to be shaped a certain way so that humans can fit inside and not die in wrecks, and so that the car is aerodynamic.

Then you have road noise, which no car will or should eliminate completely because if you can’t hear what’s outside you can’t hear ambulances or car horns. However, an audio shop can install a product called Dynamat that will significantly reduce road noise. It won’t be cheap, however.

1 Like