2018 Kia Niro - Warranty for mobile charger?

Anyone had this problem and if yes, was it covered under warranty? Note Niro is not included on the model drop down so I had to use an Optima

2018 Kia Niro Hybrid. 10,450 miles. Car is a 3 year 36k mile lease that expires this September.
Problem: Charging with original factory cable no longer working. A "Charging Error " message is displayed for a few seconds each time I start it. I confirmed the car accepts a charge by using the courtesy cable at the dealers service dept. Charging begins without any error messages. I tested a few times for 10 minutes each time and had the normal charging experience that I’ve always had. The dealer wants a $200 deposit up front before any work begins. The fee is returned only if it is determined to be covered. They also claim that the cable may not be covered under warranty and if it’s not covered, I will be charged about $800 for a new cable plus any diagnostic time to confirm the problem. Aftermarket cables are $230 to $700+. I don’t trust them now because of how this is being handled and can’t see how this would not be covered. I am a retired auto mechanic, one of the first NIASE (now ASE) certified technician, with 40 + years experience in my own shop, a BMW certified tech with 10 years at a Mercedes, BMW & Rolls Royce dealership. That said, I can repair almost anything but will never understand the mysterious warranty side of the automotive business.

1 Like

Hi Rob, the hv charging cables have a bus system that checks the power supply( form a high voltage outlet or a home (110 volt in the us?) charger) and the cable/charger combination. If it detects a fault it won’t open the connection to the battery, I’d say you’ve proved it’s the cable by using another without an issue, if the power socket/ supply is the same one it can’t be anything else.
I don’t know the ins and out of warranty over there but I imagine if it was supplied with the car it would have the same warranty, might be worth contacting the Kia importers as most are pretty sensitive about bad pr and ev’s.

1 Like

2018 vehicle with only 10500 miles . Due to be turned in 3 months . If you don’t want to spend money on it or try another dealer ( if there is one near you ) why not just drive it and use the gas engine more and just be done with it in September. Or maybe buy a new cable at a low price that cab be returned if that does not work.

1 Like

Did you plug the Niro’s included mobile charger in at the dealer and demonstrate the problem? If you did, how could it possibly anything but covered under warranty?

They will want to inspect the cable for damage.

1 Like

The dealer wants the deposit because people will refuse to pay the diagnostic fee if the failure of the cable is their fault. I.e. Damaged by the owner. Imagine the discussion if they find, oh, congealed oatmeal in the cable connector, THEN they ask you for $200?

If it IS damaged by the owner, YOU will pay for the repair or replacement… the $230 to $700+ rather than warranty.

1 Like

Curious how this ended up. My cable is no longer working less than a year from purchasing my ‘22 PHEV Sorento

Did dealership say it is not covered by your three year bumper to bumper warranty?

1 Like

Use your warranty. My nephew had a charging problem with his Nissan EV a short time after he bought it. He was traveling with the family from Charlotte to Baltimore for a family event. The first Nissan dealership he took it to in Richmond couldn’t handle it but they had it transferred to another dealership nearby that could. All fixed on Nissan’s dime. IIRC they even paid for his ride to and from the hotel as well as the hotel bill.

1 Like