2018 Hyundai Sonata - Wiring issue

Maybe in your case, but it’s not true in mine.

I have a 2018 Sonata with 8000 miles sitting at the dealership waiting for a back ordered wiring harness. Had same experience as other posters had the software update then 3 weeks engine failure alert. My question is should I stay with this vehicle after it’s repaired or trade it off?

The failure was caused by an ill-conceived software modification. If the vehicle meets your needs, I see no reason to get rid of it.

Thanks for the reply I got the car back today hopefully no more problems!

I have a 2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport with 7400 miles. I had the “software update” performed on its very first service way back on March 2. On March 9th the meltdown happened as my family was driving down the interstate in a blinding rainstorm. Made it home and took it to the dealer on March 11. They informed me that the engine is fine, but it needs a new wiring harness. We’re now on day 31 and no end in sight! Been driving around in a loaner Elantra, which is ok in small doses, but a clown car for family trips. The real kicker is that my service manager has the same problem that I do! We’re all in this together unfortunately!

Luckily I got my part slightly over 2 weeks since I had the “meltdown.”

1 Like

When did you take yours in for the replacement harness? Just trying to get information from the lucky few that have their vehicles back. I’m waiting on my next conversation with Hyundai corporate to find out what the ETA is for mine.

My car got the problem on the 19th of March and got the car on the 6th of April.
The customer service rep.said they couldn’t track the part.

In fact, the rep called me this past Wednesday telling me the part hadn’t
come in yet. as I looked at my car outside my house. Good luck.

I am also seeing this issue with my 2017 Sonata. Had the oil changed and the software update last Monday. Yesterday morning the check engine light came on with sluggish acceleration. Took it to the dealer this morning and the wiring harness needs replacing. Rep says 2-3 days, but I have a loaner so I’m ok. I’ll post an update when I get more details.

You should play the lottery with that kind of luck! They ordered my part on the 19th and I still wait. Hope you have no more issues.

I was fortunate even though I had to travel 3 1/2 hours to pick up my car.

When the problem showed its ugly face, Hyundai didn’t know what to do or what was causing it. After this happened to mine (2018 2.4 with 3100 miles) it took a week for Hyundai Engineering to figure it out. The new harness actually had to be designed, tested and manufactured. At my dealer, they had 6 cars with the problem, mine was the first. It was 31 days fro start to finish. So far so good.

An inquiry to Hyundai corp. support, recommended by the dealer, took another month to get back to me. They said I should be happy it’s fixed and grateful they supplied a loaner. They indicated loaners are from a local rental agency cost them money. When I told him my loaner was a dealer-owned one (2019 Sonata 2k miles) he said goodby. I’mhappy with my dealer buy not the company. (loaner had the registration and insurance card in the console - all with the dealers name on it.)

What else do you want from Hyundai?

1 Like

Did people that got the harness find that fixed the problem?

Yes it did

Its now Nov 2018. I have a 2018 Sonata with 2.4L engine with the same issue as described by others in this thread - I took the car in for the required software update a few thousand miles ago ( maybe 6000 miles ago maybe). The other evening as we were starting out on a 285 mile trip, the car started lurching and the check engine light came on. We limped home nursing the accelerator to not give it too much gas. Fortunately, we were only 8 miles into our trip. The car ran great until then. It’s now in the shop and I’ve been told that they need to keep it overnight to replace the wiring harness. To be continued…

Correction. It’s Dec 16, 2019 not November 2018. Brain blip…

I have a 2014 with 99700miles. Did the same thin. Took it in for a soft ware update and the next day I have the engine lightflashing. The code on the engine was 1326. I took it ina6nd they said I needed an engine and then i got a wire harrness. Picked it up last night drove it today and the same thing happend. Back to the shop I went.