2018 Ford F-150 - Pings

5.0 engine pings on my 2018 F150.

Let us know what the report says when you get your truck back after it is repaired under your warranty.

2 Likes

Actually, I’ve read this is pretty common with the newer version of this truck. I believe it may partly stem from the 10 speed transmission and the shift strategy which tends to try and keep the truck in the highest gear possible for fuel economy purposes. Taking it to the dealership under warranty is good advice and the first step. I do know they’ve had computer updates to address the transmission shift strategy for the 10 speed. However, this may or may not help with the pinging. If the dealership is no help, report back. Good luck.

I am curious too, I have a 2013 with the 5.0, but the 6 speed automatic. Love the performance of this engine. No pinging, but I have yet to tow more than 2000 pounds.
Scrapyard might have a point there. If the 10 speed has the towing mode option on the transmission, when engaged, does it still ping?

Numerous reports on the f150 forum I frequent about the 2018 and up f150’s with the 10 speed having odd noises. There’s a tsb out to correct it, that apparently doesn’t correct it, per most reports. But the sound the tsb attempts to correct seems like more of a cam phaser / timing chain noise, in my opinion. However, timing slightly off and engine ping isn’t a stretch. Most report the tsb makes the trans hold gears a bit longer and not upshift so soon. So the tsb might help, if it’s never been applied. I will try to find the tsb number.

TSB 18-2354. If I didn’t transpose numbers.

Does using premium solve the problem?

I’ve read that higher octane does help with the pinging. But it does not help for the tsb noise, which sounds more like a ratcheting or clicking sound. But I think this tsb addresses transmission strategy also, and the new shift strategy lugs the engine less. I think there has been more than one tsb issued for shift strategy with the ten speed. From what I’ve read, a lot of people aren’t thrilled with the 10 speed because it upshifts quickly to save fuel in “normal” mode and many complain that the shifts are somewhat clunky and abnormal. They revised the trans programming for the six speed a few times when it first appeared in 2009 or 2010, whatever year it was that it first came out.

A warranty is worthless if you have a complaint that the dealerships can’t or won’t fix. I owned a 2008 Sierra that was under warranty at the time. It would spark knock consistently in V4 mode. It wouldn’t knock on 93 octane. Three dealerships acknowledged the noise, but did nothing. One claimed it was due to the “sorry gas they sell these days” (which was Chevron 87), the other claimed that “these new engines just make strange noises”, but couldn’t explain what they were or why they were present. The third dealer acknowledged it might be due to an AFM lifter problem, but asked, “do you really want us pulling the heads to try and fix it?”, as if they weren’t confident they could make the repair. I got frustrated and traded it.

So I feel for the OP. Looking back, I suppose I would’ve been better off to just keep that Sierra, run 93 octane, and get a custom tune to turn off AFM (disable cylinder deactivation).

Hopefully OP’s issue is something easily fixed like a weak coil, plug, etc. But if that was the case, you’d think the engine light would be on.

Good ideas above. Might be a faulty ping sensor also. Since the vehicle is presumably under warranty, suggest to not monkey around with anything in the engine compartment; just let a Ford dealership handle it. If they tell you “it’s normal, they all do it”, ask them to let you test drive another new F150 from their lot so you can verify their claim that they all do it. From the comments above I expect the engineers at Ford are working on some drivetrain software modifications and once those are completed you’ll get a letter in the mail to bring the truck in for a software update.

I own a 46 year old classic Ford truck w/the 5L engine (302), and one time it started pinging like crazy. Turned out I had mixed up some vacuum hose connections as part of some diy’er repairs, so something simple like that is a possibility too.