2018 Chevrolet Trax - Any battery install tips?

Installing new battery

Welcome to the forum…

OK??? Sorry to be so blunt, but none of us have a crystal ball that is currently working…

2 Likes

Tip #1… ALWAYS remove the negative battery terminal FIRST.
Tip #2… No NOT mix the 2 cables… red to Positive, black to Negative. Take a picture of the original positioning and then compare BEFORE you reattach them.
Tip #3… If you break the battery hold down, buy a replacement, don’t just rely on gravity.

2 Likes

You’re going to need to know how to reset the anti-theft system once the new battery is installed.

Tester

1 Like

Would using one of those battery power maintainers (what are they called?) keep the anti-theft system powered?

Yes.

Plugging a Memor-eze memory saver into a power port that’s hot all the time will prevent computers, anti-theft, radio presets etc from losing their programs when the battery is disconnected.

Tester

1 Like

Additionally, the OP is likely to lose his radio station pre-sets, as well as the memory settings for the power seats if he doesn’t use a memory saver while the battery is disconnected. And, the performance may be a bit lumpy for a few minutes until the car’s computers re-learn the OP’s driving patterns.

Wearing safety glasses is never a bad idea when working with batteries.

That’s the problem, finding a port that is powered all the time. Mine aren’t so the dang thing is useless but I’ll sell cheap. There is a type that plugs into the obd 2 port that I think would work better. But you still have to connect it to a 12 volt battery or power source from what I have read. Not a problem for me but may be for others. Don’t know if a 9 volt would work or not. I’m getting close to the point where my batteries should be replaced before winter so I’ll have to decide.

I don’t have anything I need a battery saver for but I would think a 12 volt battery harger would work the same way.

Computers/modules need 5 VDC or more to keep their memory alive.

Tester

I have and have used many times one like Tester showed… I also have a socket with alligator clips on the end that I made years ago, that worst case, can be used on the battery cable ends with the 9V battery saver plugged into it…

Yeah I think the last time I just hooked the charger up to the battery cables but they are so short it was hard to keep them on. Jus lookin for an easier way. Maybe I can check for a connection point a little farther down the line.

This is the one I use now.

Still uses a 9 volt battery, but plugs into the diagnostic port instead.

Tester

2 Likes

I like that, don’t have to worry about whether the power port/cigarette lighter is powered on with the key out. The diagnostic port accepts the power without the key, correct?

I have a 2011 Camaro and I have replaced the battery twice. Neither time did I need any procedure to reset anything or keep the radio presets.

Well, aren’t you the lucky one?

Tester

1 Like

Others have been frantically looking around for their secret code. I’ve got mine in two places.

I have a lot of gadgets that somehow remember how to continue to work as they have been, even after I change the battery. They must save the info in memory that doesn’t get erased. I wonder why car computers don’t use the same method, non volatile or flash memory to store information that needs to be saved when the battery is disconnected or goes dead?