2018 Buick Enclave - Time for trans fluid?

Tester

2 Likes

thank you Tester. Can you help me with one more info…does this buick enclave 2018 Avernir come with a drain plug for transmission drain and fill or not?

I’m confused by what the dealer says - that it does not come with a drain plug at all…completely sealed …he says.

There is a fill cap and an oil level plug.

Tester

Oil Level plug - does it mean i can do a drain and fill by jacking up the vehicle - by myself??

Yes.

Application/Qualifier Procedure
9T65 Start the engine. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through each gear range, pausing for about 3 seconds in each range. Then move the shift lever back to PARK §. Allow the engine to idle 500-800 rpm for at least 3 minutes, to allow any fluid foaming to dissipate and the fluid to level. The transmission fluid level must be checked when the transmission fluid temperature is at 85-95°C (185-203°F). Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. While the vehicle is idling, remove the oil level set plug. Allow any fluid to drain. If the fluid is flowing in a steady stream, wait until the fluid begins to drip. If no fluid flows, add fluid until it drips out. Trans is full.

Tester

1 Like

I still don’t understand why you want to make this difficult while you are in the warranty period . With the questions you are asking it is possible you might mess something up and the warranty will not cover the problem. With the oil level plug on the side to get much fluid out you will have the vehicle tilted at a dangerous level .

Dealer said his cost is $250.00 and change to do a transmission flush. I agree with your advice that I can wait until 45k mileage. Here’s my question - Should we really do a flush instead of a drain and fill…I used to do a drain and fill on my Honda Odyssey and it ran smooth 190k miles without any transmission issues (2002 year).

If there’s no drain bolt on the buick - i agree i will leave it upto dealer (Stealership).

250 is right at a normal cost for a flush/exchange/whatever you want to call it.

Overpriced BG products are not needed though. A properly serviced automatic will last just as long as one with BG being added to it.

Some may remember many years ago when BG got going they were putting tokens into each can. Mechanics were encouraged to add BG to every fluid on the car and were reimbursed 50 cents for each token returned to the BG rep on his regular round. That kind of provides an incentive (although a few other words could be used in its place) for the mechanic.

Damn right! You need engine flush, trans flush, rear axle flush, brake fluid flush, windshield washer flush, power steering flush, ash tray flush, cup holder flush, etc, etc, etc.
Calm down. I’m being a bit facetious…

1 Like

Ahhhh!

It would appear I hurt some girly men’s feelings. :sob:

Tester

I remember BG’s game playing well. I finally banned their guy from my shop.

This isn’t your old Honda. I had a 2005 Accord EX V6 with a similar transmission. Honda directed the user to drain the transmission fluid, not to flush it. Your Buick does not use the same transmission, and doesn’t use the same rules.

If Tester’s last remark is directed at me then I would say that you are as dead wrong as can be. There’s not one word you can utter that would hurt my feelings in any way. Apathetic being the key word.

The BG business model promotes the idea that every time a customer walks through the door they must be sold the entire BG menu. It is not needed unless you believe in screwing the customer over.

I do give BG credit for one thing. One time when the BG rep talked our service manager into pushing BG onto every car that came through the door we had to sit through a lame demonstration. The rep gave all of us a couple of free samples. It did nothing for my car but I did try adding a couple of ounces of oil treatment into each fork leg on my somewhat stiff Harley after work and it did get those sliders working smoothly while improving the ride. All of the other mechanics (11 of them) all said that BG did nothing for their vehicles.

But the service manager (described by the VW factory rep as the “stupidest S.O.B. on the face of the Earth”) certainly bought into the BG hype and tried shoving it onto anyone who walked in the door.

1 Like

Pat Goss has been heavily promoting BG products for at least 15 years, (and likely many more).

As OK4450 noted, that strong marketing push, backed by financial incentives, found its way into many automotive repair facilities.

Whenever anyone is financially rewarded for pitching certain products at you, it’s important to critically assess the pitch rather than blindly accepting it.

1 Like

Several years back, BG products were being “pushed” at the dealership where I have my car serviced. However, the service manager was later replaced by somebody else, and–voila–BG products were no longer the solution to every automotive problem.

Back in my gas jockey days, the Citgo station where I worked began pushing an oil additive (a viscosity enhancer that appeared to be STP with purple coloring added to it) for every engine problem. Yes, there are some instances where a viscosity enhancer could have been beneficial in those days, but not for every automotive problem, and–in fact–stuff like that could be damaging in certain circumstances.

I have never owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission that had a drain plug.They all required the pan to be dropped. A dirty, smelly, painful job if you aren’t careful (think hot transmission fluid running down your hand into your sleeve). But it’s not rocket surgery.

Take a look at Tester’s diagram, it looks like this tranny has no pan to drop.

1 Like

Money makes the world go ‘round.

1 Like

But it does have a valve body cover.

1 Like

My 2005 Honda Accord EX V6 had a drain plug, and nothing else, like a pan, could be removed. The transmission was used on all the Acura and Honda 6 cylinder cars in the early/mid 2000s.

It looks like that’s on the side of the transmission: