2018 BMW 320 - Worth it?

Assuming it has the Driver Assist package and Parking assist. It’s slightly overpriced for a Non-CPO car, and reasonably priced. for a CPO car. Also the 320i has been discontinued for the North American market. The 330i (better equipped, more powerful engine, etc.) is now the base 3 series, you can get into a decently equipped (nav, leather, lane departure, self parking,etc.) 330i for about $42k without trying too hard. With a base 330i coming in at around $41k before any haggling) However, it’s not entirely correct to compare a 320i and 330i as there are differences in equipment and performance.

If this is a non-CPO car, then their price is about $2k higher than it should be. If it’s a CPO car, then the asking price is in the ballpark, but certainly not exceptional. If they are willing to haggle then you might be able to get a good deal. If they are a no-haggle dealership, then I wouldn’t bother. It’s becoming more and more common for the used car sides of dealerships to switch to a no-haggle model. This benefits them, not the consumer. Used cars typically have more margin than new cars anyway, so having a no-haggle policy on used cars is good way for them to make money.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!
Nope, haven’t bought anything yet, I don’t make purchases like this lightly :upside_down_face:
This is a CPO vehicle and yes, the 330i would be the closest comparison in terms of brand-new vehicles in the series. The dealership is unwilling to go lower than this price, I tried haggling and the best they’ll do is $26,500 without the certification.
Since this doesn’t seem like a wise decision, I see that many of you mentioned the Honda Accord as an option (or the Honda make in general). Does anyone else recommend that as a good first car, too? I’m also considering a Volvo (I like how safe it is, theoretically, as well as the interior), but wouldn’t the costs of ownership be comparable to the BMW?
Also, yes, people have tried to talk me out of a luxury vehicle for sure haha, I’m really just looking for a good car that won’t depreciate too quickly, that has a nice interior, but that has as low a cost of ownership as possible. Obviously have never purchased a car before, so if I’m reaching and what I’m searching for doesn’t exist, let me know…

1 Like

Volvo , used ? Forget it . We bought ours new and can assure you service is not cheap.
Go to every manufacture web site you can find , use the build your own feature and I think you will find that you can buy something new for less money then you are talking about here . Besides if you buy anything it will depreciate especially luxury vehicles . Heck , just buy a new Mustang . That will impress people more then a used BMW .

One possibility is a Honda Accord EX-L or Touring. They had a lot of problems in the 2018 and 2019 model years, but the electronic highway sensor system seems to be a lot better in 2020. There have been only 5 months or so in the 2020 MY, but there are only 4 complaints of any kind, and none for the highway sensor system. We have a 2019 Odyssey and no problems with the sensors. My 2018 Accord doesn’t filter road noise as well as other cars. Maybe the 2020, especially the Touring, does a better job at that. It should for the extra six grand over the EX-L. Check them out on line. If you like it, go for a test drive. If they are open, I think dealers will be willing to discount. That will still be the case in a couple weeks. You can stay at home and keep us safe from COVID-19 for now. Serious comment, btw.

My son is on his second and really likes them. If you like it fine, if not you can look for something else. But like I told him, get rid of them before the warranty is up. I hate to say it but you might want to consider a lease on a 2020 instead, or they have low interest rate deals. Might be cheaper actually than a used one. Also I believe the warranty is for 50,000 and not 36,000, plus includes maintenance. They really are nice cars but not for everyone. As a first car buyer, a warranty for dealer service is a great asset and don’t have to worry about the previous owner. Others will disagree but everyone should buy at least one brand new car.

Overall, Consumer Reports’ reliability ratings put a 2018 3-series in the “better than average” category", but they note that the Climate Control system is “worse than average” in reliability.

BMW–along with ALL of the other European makes–fails on that criterion.

20 or more years ago, Volvo had a well-earned reputation for being among the safest vehicles. At this point, they have no real safety advantage over other makes. Yes, the cost of ownership would be high, but probably not quite as high as with a BMW.

for a first car Honda Accord is usually a good option as are the Toyota Camry or Corolla. If you’re buying used, pay your mechanic 100-150 to look the car over with a fine tooth comb so you know if there are any immediate issues you need to be aware of when you go to negotiate price (note a dealership likely won’t let you do this). Volvo’s and BMW are both expensive to own, insure, and repair.

A vehicle is a mechanical instrument to get you from point a to point b. Don’t worry too much about depreciation, vehicles aren’t appreciating assets unless you have a classic car. Luxury does not equal low cost of ownership other than maybe Lexus.

a good point that bears repeating

Take a test drive (when the time is right) in a new Camry SE or XSE. You might be surprised at how nice they are.

@Liz10
How do you plan to use the car? Will this car be used locally? Do you have a long commute to work? Are you anticipating long vacation road trips?
The actual dollar depreciation of a luxury make is much more than a car like s Toyota Corolla.
For $28,000, you could buy a brand new Toyota Corolla and start out with new tires, battery, brake pads, even wiper blades.
To this old geezer, any car made today seems to me to be a luxury car. I think of a luxury car as having a passenger side sun visor and carpeting instead of rubber floor mats.

1 Like

… and a FULL manufacturer’s warranty for 5 yrs/60k miles on the Powertrain, 5 yrs/unlimited mileage on rust perforation, and 3 years/36k miles on essentially everything in the car, except for brake pads.

2 Likes

According to Autotrader there are dozens of new 2020 Camry SE models near me for under $25,000.

2 Likes

@VDCdriver. I am glad you support my idea. I am known for being cheap. Back in 1963 when I was home on break from graduate school, I took my dad’s 1963 Studebaker Lark that he purchased a couple months earlier to the dealer for an oil change. On the floor was a brand new stripped down 1963 Lark with an out the door price of $1495. I could have come up with $500 but would have had to borrow $1000 from my parents. My dad decided we should look at the car. I was driving an old Buick with 150,000 miles on the odometer. When my dad saw the $1495 Lark, he said “Let’s see if we can put you in something better”. I thought the stripped down Lark was just fine. I decided not to buy anything and make do with what I had. When I did finish my degree and had a job, I bought a 1965 Rambler. That was in 1965. The Rambler had 7000 miles on the odometer and the balance of the factory warranty. The Rambler was a bottom of the line strippo. I bought the car for $1750. I thought about a used car with more features, but this seemed like a better bet. I drove the Rambler for eight years and through another round of graduate school. The money we were able to save allowed us to make the down payment on a house.
My recommendation to the OP is to buy a new, more practical car, and use the savings for the future.
I know I don’t think like most people. I was with three friends about my age a couple of weeks ago. We were talking about cars we would like to own. One friend, who owns a Cadillac along with a Chevrolet Suburban and a couple of other vehicles said he would like to have a Mercedes. My female friend, who is single, said she would like to have a Prius. She had owned a Prius, but traded it when the main battery failed, for a Nissan Versa. When it was my turn, I said that I wished I had bought a Checker Superba years ago. I would probably be still driving it and look at the money I would have saved not buying replacement cars.

Would be interesting to know what Liz decided to purchase after all the confusing suggestions and recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for your continued help and suggestions! This is my largest purchase yet, so it really makes a difference for me!
I completely understand the suggestions around Toyotas, they have a low cost of ownership and getting a new car certainly mitigates any potential for large-scale issues than a used car (well, theoretically). Still, you loose $5,000 when you drive off the lot, right, since it becomes a used car from that point on? I don’t really want to take that financial hit, but if it’s unavoidable…
I don’t know that I’ll move forward with the BMW (they’re only approved to go as low as $26,500 on the vehicle, even though I’m paying cash, so that’s the reality), but I will say that some of the features that I would really value are not necessarily available on new cars that I’ve taken a look at. Some of my needs are AWD (I live in Buffalo, so I’m sure you can understand), as new as possible (2017 and newer preferred), as low mileage as possible, no CVT transmission (I’ve seen them bomb out at 100K or less for nearly everyone who has ever had one), depreciation that isn’t insanely fast, 4-door sedan, not too many bells or whistles (not necessarily interested in fancy electronics and computers that will just break anyway and require expensive repair), leather seats, a comfortable interior, and digital display of mileage (I have limited driving experience, it helps to quickly see my MPH rather than try to discern that and potentially get distracted, etc.). It’d be nice to also have a rear-view camera (again, helps someone like me with limited exprience to be a safer driver), heated seats and a moonroof, but if not, I can certainly live without all of that. Perhaps there is a compromise with any entry-level luxury vehicles (maybe Buick?), but trying to find all of this in one car is proving difficult.
I considered Subarus and really liked the Crosstrek I test drove, but that CVT transmission is really discouraging. Not sure what else to consider? :sweat_smile:

That should not even be in your thoughts. Any used vehicle will be worth less then you just paid for it and the longer you keep a vehicle the less depreciation matters. Also many new vehicles have zero interest loans so you don’t have to wipe out your saving account.

have you not used the build your own features on the manufactures web sites ? That will give all the information you need to make a list of what you might consider.

3 Likes

If you really want a BMW and understand that it will cost more for maintenance and repairs, then buy it and enjoy it. IMO, maintenance costs will be a lot higher than repairs. A Lexus IS would be the “equivalent” to the 3-series, but it’s a pig. The maintenance and repair costs are lower though. If you don’t mind the way it handles, the IS could be a good car for you.

Liz said in her original post she was not really in love with the BMW . Apparently she thinks having a loaded luxury vehicle will make her feel better and possibly make other people notice her.
Think how she will feel when has to put 1200.00 dollars worth of tires and 8 or 9 hundred dollars on the 15000 mile service.

3 Likes

I don’t think the BMW is a very good choice for Buffalo.

I have a friend who just purchased a Toyota Prius with all wheel drive. She had a 2017 Prius she really liked, but has an elderly mother who is in her late 90s and lives on her own about 150 miles away. For this reason, my friend upgraded to a new Prius with all wheel drive.
The Prius, from what I understand, does not depreciate as rapidly as many other makes. In the Buffalo, NY area, the all wheel drive might be advantageous. I think a Prius goes for about $30,000.

Is that your thought anytime someone wishes to purchase a car that you don’t like? I find your statement extremely insulting and arrogant.

4 Likes