2017 Volkswagen Jetta - disabling brake override

How can I disable the brake override on a 2017 VW Jetta? Permanently. Has automatic transmission.

Not sure what you are asking but what ever it is donā€™t do it. Maybe after the warranty period but still sounds like a bad idea.

It appears VWs require you to step on the brake to start the engine.
I can see where this would be annoying.

First, please confirm if Purebredā€™s guess is your actual question. If so, Iā€™m wondering why you want to do this.

I am a left foot braker. When trying to accelerate quickly and your foot does not come off the brake pedal the gas pedal is disabled. Happens all the time and is very dangerous as the car does not move.

Patient: ā€œMy arm hurts when I do this.ā€

Doctor: ā€œStop doing that!ā€

Stop braking with your left foot?

Tester

5 Likes

This feature is there to guarantee the gas is disengaged when the brake is pushed, a very good feature. Change your driving style.

2 Likes

Been doing that for 52 years would be safer to have a car without the feature guess I will have to get a different car.

The really simple answer is. Get your foot is completely off the brake.
Is not there to be a foot rest. You are either using the brake or not. And if not remove your foot.

I guess nobody knows how to disable the override permanently. I am able to disable it each time the car is started, but it has to be completed each time the car is restarted. Thanks for the replys I will keep looking.

Iā€™m going to guess that you are also one of the people I see driving on the highway at 60 mph, up hill with no traffic and your brake lights are on.

Have always wondered why people do that.

1 Like

Iā€™d say the first thing that you need to solve is the ā€œLeft Foot Brakeā€ issueā€¦ This is a real problem, not an imaginary one. Aside from being very poor form, it is actually dangerous. Modern vehicles do not respond well to simultaneous application of the brake and the throttle.

Your vehicle has a fly by wire throttle and is designed to not allow acceleration while the brake is being applied. This is done via the programming of the ECU in the vehicleā€¦there is no way to undo this, unless you are proficient in however VW programmed their computers and can write your own lines of code to eliminate this setup, but againā€¦there is no logical reason to even ponder this in order to accommodate and or allow a proven driving mistake to take place.

So, basically the way you can solve this ā€œissueā€ is, well, to cease and desist the entire practice and avoid the issue altogether by never using your left foot for braking doubly so while your right foot is on the the throttleā€¦its simply bad stuff.

This person made a thread in Nov. 2017 about this problem . That means they have yet to figure out a way to drive this vehicle. Therefore the only 2 options are 1. Change driving style 2. Find a vehicle that is not as sensitive .

1 Like

I assume youā€™re driving as though this is a clutch, with your right foot going down as your left foot comes up. If youā€™re going to brake with your left foot, thatā€™s not the correct way to do it, so you need to retrain yourself.

Getting another car when you just absorbed the largest depreciation hit on this one is an expensive way to solve this problem.

Sounds like the idiotic auto stop/start ā€œfeatureā€ that my wifesā€™ 2016 Kia soul also has. She starts the car puts on her seat belt and pushes the cancel button on the dash. Problem solved.

No it not the Start/Stop feature. It is the brake override feature.

Iā€™ve been left foot braking since 1964. No problem here and Iā€™m pretty sure I have to step on the brake to start the car. It just becomes automatic, and I donā€™t ride the brake. Some will never be convinced though but when you are preparing for a possible dangerous situation, ā€œcoveringā€ the brake while you cautiously proceed is a lot easier and faster with your left foot.

I rented a Jeep and could find no way to shut off the start stop function. Very irritating but disabled if you also press on the accelerator at the same time as the brake. But that kind of defeats the whole idea of stop start which was a bad bad idea in the first place.

ā€œTheyā€ are going to make us comply with software one way or another. Either learn to do it my way or weā€™ll force you to with software and switches. Kind of reminds me of the radial arm saw police at Knox lumber before they went out of business but thatā€™s another story.

How can a brake override safety feature be disabled every time the car is started? OP sez ā€œI am able to disable it each time the car is started.ā€

Since whatever this thing is can be disabled each time the car is started i donā€™t see why the OP has a problem with it.

I was wondering that too. I would never expect a safety feature to have an ā€˜offā€™ switch.

I have no idea how to disable VWā€™s brake/accel pedal interlock function. But having no idea hasnā€™t prevented me from posting before ā€¦ lol ā€¦ .hmmm ā€¦ Youā€™ve checked w/a VW dealership right? I presume they told you thereā€™s no provision to disable it permanently, only to disable it each time you start the car. hmmmā€¦ thatā€™s a tough one. It seems logical if you can disable it each time you start the car you should be able to do the same on a permanent basis, but maybe VW just didnā€™t have time to include that in the carā€™s software. VW probably doesnā€™t want people to do that b/c they havenā€™t tested that function. Maybe somebody know how to do a hack, but if you try some aftermarket hacksterā€™s method youā€™ll have to accept the risk of something untoward happening, like unintended acceleration. I think your idea to switch cars to a make/model that doesnā€™t have the brake/accel pedal interlock is a better approach.