2017 Volkswagen Jetta - disabling brake override

Toyota added the accelerator/brake override feature to millions of vehicles in 2010 after a California highway patrolman crashed killing his family in a run away Lexus. Other manufactures had used that feature for nearly a decade before but it can create a nuisance for some drivers like the OP.

Any professional technician will slam the door in your face if you ask to disable this feature.

1 Like

To disable each time, turn on ignition press down brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time. Hold for 10 seconds then start car. Override feature cancelled each time car is restarted.

Wow
who’d a thunk it ? LOL
 smh

Why not? The Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control on my Camry can be turned off. Even “safety features” can malfunction. Boeing 737 max series comes to mind.

I am not a left foot braker and never will be. 40 years of driving 5 to 16 speed tractor trailers has ensured that my reflexes have been programmed for right foot braking.

Having said that, every study I have seen says that left foot braking improves reaction times. If the OP has been right foot braking for 50 years, I don’t think he should try to change now. The last thing you want in an emergency is a moment of indecision. Once you are well trained and imprinted in doing something, your body can start to react before your brain realizes what is going on.

When I started driving a school bus, they tried to get me to become a left foot braker. I just couldn’t get comfortable with it.

1 Like

I have been using both right and left foot braking for the 40+ years and feel perfectly safe doing both.
What I don’t like about OP’s question is that, he should regard it as a benefit with the brake override as that - in an emergency stop - will cut power to the engine a split second earlier.
I think he’s just being lazy in some way and you can’t allow laziness in the drivers seat.

+1, not even mentioning those dangerous situations that behavior can create.

Not only lazy but stubborn . Another poster may have identified the problem , they are treating the brake pedal like you would a clutch pedal.

1 Like

VW at least recognized that some drivers would run into problems because they are left foot brakers and gave them the option of turning it off. A very distinct “I want this thing OFF” option of holding brake and throttle for 10 seconds. No accidental defeats here!

Puts VW in a better legal position if the OP crashes the car and the data shows he pressed brake and accel at the same time. VW can show data that HE chose to defeat this safety feature EACH and EVERY time he started the car. Avoids his grandma borrowing the car with that feature permanently turned off when she tries to drive through a 7-11 storefront.

1 Like

+1
Maybe it’s just because of more extensive local news coverage, but it seems that these “I couldn’t distinguish between the brake pedal and the gas pedal” incidents are now occurring at least once each week in the NY/NJ/PA region.
:roll_eyes:

I’m now curious where one finds the instructions on how to disable it. In the owners manual? Or on the web, sourced from a service manual?

I see this as a bit different from the skid control off button, which might be needed for certain road conditions.

1 Like

Maybe he has stock in a brake pad maker and likes to replace every 20000 miles just to be safe .