2017 Subaru Forester - Car dies

My car loses power and almost shuts off. Also, the car has to be started every 2 days or else the battery goes dead. No one has been able to find the cause. Been told it is either the alternator or fuel pump. They say I make too many short trips; to drive the car more. Never had to do this with any other car I owned. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a known issue with the 12-V battery in that generation. Also a TSB on the alternator. Here is the TSB link,. Subaru changed my alternator at 30K miles at their expense. Otherwise, it was going to be $1100. I changed the battery at my own expense.

1 Like

In winter and doing mostly short trips, I put my cars on an overnight charger a time or two. You need to get yours fixed, but it’s still good to have a battery charger available.

How old is the battery in this vehicle?
Has your mechanic tested the alternator?

Has anything been done to actually determine what is wrong with your vehicle ?

2 Likes

A problem with the battery/charging system could cause these symptoms. Suggest to ask you shop to test those components. For example, what voltage does the battery measure before the first start of the day? Then immediately after starting engine, what voltage does it measure? The shop might also want to measure the battery drain current with car parked & everything off; i.e. phantom drain current.

Three days later, the OP has not responded to any of the questions that were posed to her.

2 Likes

OP’s post may have been submitted elsewhere, but a copy directed to this website. They may not realize there’s an active forum that has already responded to their post.