2017 Forester needs rear wheel bearings - is this common for Subarus?

I’m all good! The dealer replaced both rear wheel bearings under warranty and claimed that the front ones looked fine. Only concern was the new warranty, which is only 12,000 miles but I’m still 10,000 miles within my car’s original warranty. I hope nothing bad happens!!! Thank you for all the help, everyone

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing the news. Glad it was good news! Best wishes and come back any time.

Thanks for posting the resolution to your wheel bearing problem OP. Glad to hear you are back on the road. Sometimes something like this is caused by some minor problem at the bearing ass’y plant. I had to replace the front wheel bearings on my Rabbit at about 80 K, but the ones on my Corolla are still original at over 200 K. There’s no real difference between how the wheel bearings are configured on a Corolla vs a Rabbit, so the difference must have just been bad luck when the Rabbit was manufactured, VW maybe got a less than perfect batch of wheel bearings. Running over big potholes and water getting into the bearings due to driving through flooded areas are other common causes for faulty bearings. It takes some time for water damage to affect the bearing. If there’s a big flood the auto repair shops in that area can expect to have a bunch of cars coming in w/faulty wheel bearings about 6-9 months later.