2017 Durango - Certification Standards

Why would you buy a car before it was certified ?

4 Likes

At this point, if you have collision or comprehensive coverage, I would at least contact my insurance company, file a claim and let the insurance company deal with the damages that occurred when the vehicle was in the dealerā€™s care. That would not cover the light trim or tires, but should cover the damage that occurred while in their care. Sometimes the insurance company lawyers can get better results than consumers, and you get your vehicle back up to standard.

4 Likes

I was told it was certified. Got paperwork and everything. And then come to find out they couldnā€™t finish it without the bumper being fixed. See, issues.

I guess the question I would have for you isā€¦ why did you accept delivery of the car? Did you note the discrepancies when you accepted the car?

3 Likes

Because, I said something about multiple things about 30 seconds after I drove it off the lot. And then things started piling up. And then the damage happened. Iā€™ve never had to go over a car with a fine tooth comb before. And like I said, Iā€™m pretty understanding and Iā€™m not one to complain, but now thatā€™s biting me in the ass.

If the tires have the required tread depth and new tires are not listed on the Due Bill they have no reason to replace the tires. The salesman that suggested that CPO vehicles get new tires has no authority over the recon department.

Right, but then it shouldnā€™t of been said. I would of tried to negotiate them.

Steve Lehto, a consumer-protection lawyer, for 28 years, specializing in auto law, who posts excellent videos, says in several of them that ā€œCPOā€ is meaningless for the buyer.

1 Like

You canā€™t find proof that an inspection was actually performed. CPOs are essentially meaningless for the buyer.

Isnā€™t that exactly what I wrote? I do enjoy Steve Lehto though!

I guess it was the bumper that was painted over, not a number.

CPO is much like Carfax; a sales tool used to convince buyers that things are going to be fine.

As for Chrysler corporation they are just like every other car manufacturer. They are not going to hammer the dealer for anything. They only way they will come down on them is if the dealer is into wholesale fraud and egregious financial misdeeds. As long as cars are sold Ma Mopar really does not care what goes on.

1 Like

EXACTLYā€¦

Certified pre-owned is a numbers game the dealerships pay. Used car thatā€™s only a certain age and below a certain mileage range and looks decent will get the certified badge. Based on statistics the dealer will probably see fewer issues with a vehicle that falls into this category then other vehicles. So they give it the certified badge.

Last time I went car shopping with my son - the clean CarFax report and Certified Pre-Owned were waved at us like this is a sure bet. And they were asking a premium for it.

All of this CPO business reminds me of the 1950s where dealers had labels for their better used cars:. Chevrolet, OK ; Pontiac, Good Will; Buick, Owner Certified; Oldsmobile, Safety Tested.
I am sure other franchised dealers had labels, but I donā€™t remember what they were. I look at the Certified Pre Owned as just one more gimmick except this time the dealer had a surcharge.

The only value for CPO is if it comes with a legitimate extended warranty.

+1
Which means an extended warranty from the vehicleā€™s manufacturer.
Extended warranties from aftermarket companies have loopholes big enough to drive an 18-wheeler through them, and their coverage is frequently non-existent as a result. Many of the aftermarket extended warranties are simply a glorified scam.

This used dodge is a good as any new dodge? Good luck with that.