2017 Chevrolet Volt - Lots on Used Car Lots

We have noticed several used low mileage volts (2017) 10000 to 40000 miles
miles on dealer lots, most have about run out of warranty
there are a lot of volts sold in 2017 and like a hand full 20 or so that have complaints
why did you sell it or trade it and did you Buy another ev

The response to your question will be small . You might want to find an actual Chevy Volt forum .
Just guessing that many on the used lots are lease returns and this is the last year for the Volt so many people are concerned about future support from GM.

Not sure why you are asking but here is my thought . I would never buy a used Hybrid or Electric vehicle , they are complicated machines.

The cars are on used lots because most were leased at a very favorable rate. GM did this because there were VERY few who would plop down $40,000 for the cars.

At the end of those leases, the residual value was far higher than most wanted to pay so they turned in the cars at lease end and the cars ended up on the used car lots at a MUCH lower price.

I have a buddy who had a Volt for maybe a year or two. Not sure on the model year, but he bought it used.

Overall he loved the car. However, it did have some odd, and disturbingly frequent, problems. Not to mention expensive.

What ultimately caused him to get rid of the car, though, was there was only about 1 Chevrolet mechanic in our entire area qualified to work on the Volt. And if there was a regular car in line, he had to wait on that 1 mechanic to get to his Volt. Became too much of a hassle.

Just my two cents. I rode in the car once, and it seemed pretty amazing.

+1
Just yesterday, I happened to look at the Monroney Sticker on the window of the far-smaller, far-less-capable Chevy Bolt, and I was quite literally shocked to see that it listed at over $39k.
:open_mouth:

1 Like

Seems that $35,000 electric car is pretty darn elusive from any manufacturer. None of the Tesla Model 3 buyers seem all that surprised that none of them are selling for less than, oh, $45,000 or so. :roll_eyes:

That’s the list price. There may be price reductions or rebates. There definitely is a federal tax credit of $7500 for new car sales of the Bolt, and the tax credit was also available in 2017 for the Volt. You have to owe at least $7500 in federal taxes to qualify for the full $7500, of course. Now the $40,000 car is $32,500.

How could they charge such high prices for these cars? Shocking! Well, no it’s not. The manufacturers are trying to make back the nonrecurring costs to produce these cars. They know that buyers get a big tax credit, and take advantage of that to earn back the nonrecurring costs faster.

Has any carmaker actually made a profit on their electric cars? On their hybrids? It’s mostly about trying to be ready for the future, less about making money here and now.

I bet Toyota has done fine on the Prius.

1 Like

I think so, too. Anyone else done OK? I kinda doubt it.

Toyota has bee building hybrids long enough to pay off the engineering and hybrid-only tooling. Sure, they’ve made money, and they earned it. They are so far ahead of everyone else in hybrids that GM went as quickly as they could to electric-only cars, hoping that they could become the most successful producer or electrics. We’ll see how that works out. From what I’ve heard recently, it certainly won’t be Tesla. They can’t even fill a car order correctly.

On the Volt forum i found there are lots of problem areas and some of the members are including the number of unscheduled service visits in their information at the bottom. The off lease 2017 near me was leased in August of 2016 and has been returned with a little under 40,000 miles having multiple visits to the dealer to check various electrical issues at least from what Carfax reports.

Chevrolet gave real sweet deals on Volt leases to encourage people to lease, not buy, them. They were concerned about how well a new to them product like a hybrid would work out. Leases were easier to handle than purchased cars if things went sour.

The Kona is getting pretty close. $37k MSRP, and it’s competitive with the Model 3 as far as range goes. Not as fast, of course, but not everyone needs an electric rocket.

1 Like

Remember, GM only leased the EV1.
We still have an EV1, currently sitting in the parking lot at my workplace:

How did it escape the crusher?

Exactly! All EV’s were to be turned back into GM.

I know there were a couple that were allowed to stay in private hands, but they were museum pieces and had to be functionally destroyed so they couldn’t be used again.

I have a couple engineers who work for me that bought Volts. They went to dealership together and one bought 2 (one for himself and one for his wife), and the other guy bought just one. They figured if they went there together they could get a better deal if they bought 3 at the same time…and they did.

They all love their vehicles. We have chargers at work in parking lot. One guy has add Stabil because he’s only filled it twice in the year he’s owned it.

Lots and lots of EV1s were donated to educational institutions. The consumer cars were crushed but the educational donations apparently remain! I think my alma mater still has the car my GM division had in our fleet and donated to them.