2016 Tucson needs new Catalytic converter & burns lots of oil

hope they fix the oil burning issue as well, otherwise your new cat might not last long.

Tester

Your car has a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty. Now is the time to scream bloody murder for a new engine under the warranty. Donā€™t just talk to the dealer escalate it up the chain as shown in your manual.

PS, let them replace the converter first.

2 Likes

You need to find out why the cat wentā€¦ I assume its because of the oil burning.If the oil burning problem is not taken care of,your new cat will eventually go bad.I would also consider selling this vehicule due to the high amount of transmission problemsā€¦

Hi All,

I need some advice, first I have a Hyundai Velsoter 2016 at around 124,000 miles (a lot I knowā€¦) my car shut down on me and I had to get a oil change seems like my car had no oil and was not due for a oil changeā€¦ 1009 miles later my car shuts off on me causing someone to rear end me. (I am okay) I took my car to Hyundai and they approved the oil consumption test but the dealership is saying I need to pay 3k to replace Cat Converterā€¦ I keep explaining to them that itā€™s no way I have the money to pay that. I offered to get it cleaned to proceed with the oil test of driving the 1000 miles and they are telling me if I donā€™t replace I am neglecting my car and will void warranty! I keep telling them my engine is consuming too much oil which is why my cat needs to be replaced and they wonā€™t pay for it! Iā€™ve been going back and fourth for a month with Hyundaiā€¦ I donā€™t know what to doā€¦ canā€™t afford cat or a new car seeing as I am nanny I have no paperwork for employment. Please help!

Did you run your car out of oil?

Why is the catalytic converter not part of the warranty?

Exhaust system parts are not included in the class action settlement or engine warranty extension. If Hyundai agrees to replace your engine, you would still need to pay for the catalytic converter.

1 Like

You seem to think that checking the oil level is somehow related to an oil change. It isnā€™t. All car owners need to monitor the oil level regularly regardless of when the oil is changed.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

I am aware :slight_smile: but just sucks that I have to pay for this when itā€™s my engines fault it needs to be replaced. And as other users mentioned if I replace converter and they donā€™t change engine would damage new converter

So let me get this straight? You have run this engine low enough on oil that it ā€œshut down on [you]ā€ not once, but twice, and you think this is Hyundaiā€™s fault??? You need to check the oil regularly, and top off as needed.

Also, I would not pay $3k for OEM catalytic converter(s), especially for a car with a defective engine. I would go to Rock Auto, buy direct-fit aftermarket versions, and either DIY or find someone else to install them. Then, Iā€™d go back to the dealer to address the oil consumption issues.

1 Like

My engine didnā€™t shut down because of oil it shut down because cat failure and 02 sensors from what I was told. But when checked I did have low oil. Each time when I replaced oil I only drove about 1k miles. I was told if I go somewhere else to fix cat that my engine warranty will be voided. I have no issues with taking fault because I donā€™t regularly check oil I figured that if oil light isnā€™t on I am okayā€¦ :frowning: i just wanted a little insight about this because previous user noted Hyundai paid for 90% of cost for Cat.

The typical oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level. It will come on if the oil level is low enough, but by that point youā€™ve probably caused engine damage.

2 Likes

previous users catalytic convertor was still covered under the emissions warranty, i donā€™t think at 124,000 miles that yours is.

2 Likes

I think that may be a violation of federal regulations. US car makers are required to provide replacement parts and consumables free of charge if they require OEM parts to be used to maintain a warranty.

You might ask Hyundai if theyā€™d offer up some help with your cat problem, like maybe you pay 2/3, they pay 1/3. Since it appears they are not required to do this, about the only leverage you have is which car you decide to purchase next time. If they believe youā€™d be more likely to buy a car from them provided they help, they might be willing to discount the fee.

Iā€™m thinking your best bet however is just to ask several well-recommended inde shops in your area for quotes on cat-replacement for your car, and use the one with the best price. After that, check the oil level as part of every fill-up, top off as necessary. And change the engine oil and filter a little more frequently than the manufacturer recommends.

If the OEM catalytic converter(s) cost $3k with installation, and aftermarket versions can be sourced online for less than $1k, it quickly becomes a no-brainer to just go aftermarket and not waste time convincing Hyundai corporate to cover some of the cost.