2016 Subaru Forrester hesitates while shifting from R to D

Newer transmissions do not operate the same way as older transmissions. The hesitation is normal. You will eventually notice that your transmission will not hold on a hill like the older transmissions as well. I liked that feature but now it’s gone in most newer cars and trucks.

Actually the forester has a “hill start assist” system. Apparently it holds the brake on for a second or two after you release the brake pedal, if you are on a hill.

"Actually the forester has a "hill start assist" system. Apparently it holds the brake on for a second or two after you release the brake pedal, if you are on a hill."

If it is like the system on my Outback, you have to actually activate the Hill Holder feature. My car has an on/off button for this feature, and since I live in a fairly level area, I keep it turned “off” most of the time.

on my 15 forester, there is a complicated procedure to deactivate it. Following the procedure again re-activates it.

Procedure has 8 steps, too complicated to repeat here. It uses the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF button pressed in a timed sequence. And I’ll never remember the sequence. But it seems the feature does nothing you could not do by holding the brakes with your left foot and touching the throttle with your right foot. Perhaps I should just turn it off and leave it off.

^
Really?
The Hill Holder, the traction control, and the VDC on my 2011 Outback all have simple on/off buttons

VDC? Volts Direct Current?

And apparently traction control button is combined with the stability control button (aka Vehicle Dynamics Control) and both are on or off with the one button.