2016 Subaru Forester - Oil cost

I’m not aware of any technical study reports where somebody has tested an engine that is manuf-recommended for synthetic oil vs using regular dinosaur oil instead. I wouldn’t expect there to be much of a difference w/the lower engine parts, but the upper end’s variable valve timing components, that may be problematic using dinosaur oil. Without somebody having done a proper test, I wouldn’t be confident a problem wouldn’t occur there. Eventually, may take quite few miles for the difference to show up though. If OP is the scientific type, they could just do the experiment. If no problems show up after 200 K miles, probably ok to do, at least w/that driving style and environmental conditions.

Most Toyota variable valve timing engines from 1996 to 2012 did not use synthetic motor oil.

Putting Honda on the label adds $10.
Much like a certain brand of tequila, cheap, ‘silver’ tequila in a fancy bottle equals high price.

Most of the oils labeled “full synthetic” in the US are not made with 100% “true” (group IV) synthetically derived base oil.
The oils labeled conventional have some synthetic base oil blended in to meet the SN etc. standards.
So it’s a spectrum, not a sharp line.
And I’m sure there’s plenty of Toyota VVT engines in Mexico soldiering on with 20W-50.

1 Like

When under warranty use the oil recommended by the carmaker. After the warranty, use the oil you want to use. More often than not, if oil makes a difference, the carmaker knows best.

2 Likes