Oil reccomendations for 2000-up Subarus ressurection of "is syntetic oil reccomended for my Subaru"

I stumbled on the old thread referenced: http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2136017/is-syntetic-oil-recommended-with-a-subaru-outback
Anyway, my new 2015 Forester XT had a blurb in it that said all Subarus are now recommended to have synthetic oil for MY 2000 and up. Here is a quote from a dealer website: “All 2011 and newer Subaru Foresters, 2012 and newer Subaru Imprezas, 2013 and newer Outbacks and Legacys, 2013 Crosstreks, 2013 BRZs and all turbos are REQUIRED to use synthetic oil.” Here is the dealer’s website: http://www.subaruofkeene.com/synthetic-oil.htm

Thought I should share since the conclusion of the last thread was that it was unnecessary. True that the Owner’s manual did not specify Synthetic when the cars were new but the factory has changed their mind as to it’s advisability.

TURBO being the operative word for required synth

But the factory owners manuals at techinfo.subaru.com for 2014 and older still say you can use conventional motor oil if synthetic is not available.

The 2015 Forester manual says:

non-turbo model: 0W-20 synthetic oil is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection. 5W-30 or 5W-40 Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable but should be changed to 0W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

Turbo model: 5W-30 synthetic oil is required for optimum engine performance and protection. 5W-30 or 5W-40 Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable but should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

I agree the web link says it is required, but I don’t see how that applies, you can’t expect all Subaru owners to see that site.

But I’d always use synthetic anyway. I keep a quart or two of 0W-20 in the trunk just in case.

If I manufactured an engine with as many problems as Subaru has endured, I would also recommend the best motor oil available…

Another angle, by switching to 100% synthetic bulk oil for ALL the oil changes they perform, inventory problems are eliminated and profit margins maximized as the mark-up on a 'Synthetic Oil Change" is MUCH higher than the plain vanilla “regular” oil change…Up-selling, it’s everywhere…

Subaru went from 7500 miles to 3750 miles with conventional for 2005 legacy turbo. Recently they recommend synthetic.

I use the same 5000 miles since new (easy to remember) with cheap conventional and have had no oil related issues with turbo or engine in 200k miles.

The quote said AND turbos after providing an age cutoff for certain models. It seems to me that the newer models listed and turbocharged Subarus regardless of model year must use synthetic oil.

“I use the same 5000 miles since new (easy to remember) with cheap conventional and have had no oil related issues with turbo or engine in 200k miles.”

I have always adhered to a 4k oil change regimen (with conventional oil) on all 3 of my Subarus, and I have not had any engine-related issues. Well, for that matter, I haven’t had any non engine-related issues either…

I would suspect the reason for the recommendation is that synthetic stands up to heat a little better than regular dino oil.

Given the propensity for many car owners to stretch oil change intervals (deliberately or inadvertently) and fail to monitor the engine oil level the synthetic would be less prone to oil sludging/coking issues and could combat oil consumption complaints.

Synthetic will sludge or coke just like dino oil; just not as easily.

I would believe such a statement from Subaru but no necessarily from a Subaru Dealer.

Synthetic oil is required for maximum engine performance and protection does NOT mean synthetic oil is required.

Turbos and variable valve timing are two functions on newer cars that seem stress the oil. At least from the posts we see here. Not just Subaru, but in general. If I had a newer car with either of those functions, provided the owners manual said it was ok, I’d be inclined to use a synthetic oil.

“Synthetic oil is required for maximum engine performance and protection”

I think it really depends on how you read that sentence. To me its required. A little punctuation would have been nice, like: Synthetic oil is required. “This provides” for maximum engine performance and protection. It didn’t say: While synthetic oil is recommentded for maximum engine performance and protection, regular oil is acceptable. That’s why we have courts but I choose to spell things out more if there is any chance for confusion, but many times people read what they want to read anyway.

But the owner’s manual does say that regular oil is acceptable as long as you switch back to synthetic next oil change. I agree, strange wording.

I too believe what Subaru documents for oil requirements before I believe what a Subaru dealer documents.

When I read the Subaru wording, there is nothing in there that tells me that synthetic is required. (Note, I’m not talking about the benefits of synthetic. Just whether it’s required or not.)