2016 Jeep Renegade -Bent roof track

2016 sport had problems with “my sky top”. it worked fine for about a year when it would not shut. hit the button and it would close 1/2 way and reopen. took it to a Jeep dealership and I was told the track was bent! how in the world it that happen? was told $3500 to fix! sounded like a defect but Jeep said it was not!

5+ year old vehicle, worked for a year but now it does not. Something happened between the time it worked and did not work. Did you buy it new in 2016 and it worked through 2017 and just now reporting it, or did you buy it a year ago and it started acting up?

1 Like

On Jan 12, 2022, at 8:43 AM, SteveCBT via Car Talk Community cartalk@discoursemail.com wrote:Discussion Alert!SteveCBT January 125+ year old vehicle, worked for a year but now it does not. Something happened between the time it worked and did not work. Did you buy it new in 2016 and it worked through 2017 and just now reporting it, or did you buy it a year ago and it started acting up?bought it new in 2016 (only owner) worked great for about a year In 2017 took off bother panels and found it difficult to put back on. worked okay for about 3 months then acted up again (going 1/2 way closed and reversing. had to take the front panel off the track then the rail would close. able to put the panel on. in 2019 took it to a dealer and they told me the rail (track) was bent. have not open it since. Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Has there been collision damage? Maybe this was not discovered at the time of repairs. Unibody bends/distorts sometimes far away from the point of impact.

1 Like

So, it is closed now?

None

From me

Yes dealer closed and I don’t dare us the button because it will open but not shut

From me

Dirt in the track causes binding and damage to the tracks.

I have never been a fan of “a hole in the roof”, Monday I spent 7 hours replacing sunroof tracks on a Lexus.

Understand. Last one I will get I can’t justify 3,500 to have it replace. Car is paid off

From me

I wish I had the choice, most cars come with them, want it or not.

1 Like

+1
On my last 3 vehicles, in order to get the options package with the items that I actually wanted, I had to accept the moonroof that was part of the package. My current car is now 11 years old, and I think I have opened the moonroof no more than 5 times in those 11 years.

I was lucky to find nicely equipped cars without it in ‘96, ‘08, and ‘11. From what I can tell, my luck has run out.