2016 Hyundai Elantra already needs third set of tires

Super confused and ticked off that I’m getting ready to put the 3rd set of tires on my 2016 Hyundai Elantra at 45,500 miles. What the heck is going on with this car? Owned many vehicles and never have I needed new tires as frequently as this vehicle.

I’d say you need a 4 wheel alignment.

Check the wear rating on the tires you are considering. Go to tirerack.com for comparisons.

That does seem like unusual tire wear. But a little more information would help getting answers. The factory tires only going 20000 is not all that uncommon . But what brand of tires and their rating did you buy. Also did you keep them properly inflated and rotated . You location might have a bearing also.

Insofar as your first set of tires goes, I have this to offer.
I purchased a 2004 Elantra stocked with all-season Pirelli (P4?) tires and they lasted 50-60K. I purchased a 2016 Elantra stocked with all-season Hancook tires that were supposed to be good for at least 50K miles and had to replace them at 25K. They were rotated a few times and tread wear was even indicating no alignment problems. I have replaced them with anything-but-Hancook (Cooper) and I’m hoping for considerably more lifetime. But as for why your second set wore out, I would assume you would not replace the first set with the same brand/model.

+1
Highly likely…

Again, +1
For reasons of–I suppose–convenience, some people choose to buy their replacement tires from the car dealership, and thus are likely to wind-up with the same brand/model of fast-wearing tires with which the car came from the factory.

My father’s 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 came from the factory with BF Goodrich Silvertown tires that were worn almost bald by 16,000 miles. My friend’s Rav-4 came with some sort of Bridgestone tires that were “done” by 22k miles. In both cases, the tires were worn evenly, so there was no problem with either inflation or alignment. Instead, they were the typical fast-wearing tires that most new cars have installed at the factory.

The OP needs to take a close look at the wear rating that is embossed into the sidewall of her tires, and also to take a look at the link that was provided by Purebred.

Tirerack is a great source info about tires. So is Consumer Reports.

When it’s time for new tires, it’s your opportunity to adjust the car’s performance to your priorities. Long tread life may be a good thing but there are many other tire characteristics that can make the car better or worse for you and your driving conditions. These characteristics are tested and reported on by tirerack and by CR.

For example, you might want maximum lateral grip for high speed cornering, excellent dry road braking and wet road braking and snow and ice traction and braking and long tread life and a low-noise, smooth ride, all at a low price. No tire has all these characteristics, so you buy ones that embody what you value most highly.

It’s not a crap shoot. You can make an informed choice.

Eh, my 2016 Mustang will be on it’s third set of tires next month. Less than 30k miles.

May I suggest that, You take the driver to the shop get him an alignment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like