2016 Honda HR-V - Don't like the seats

Reminds me of teenage days. Tried to convince my parents our next family car should be a brand new 1969 Dodge Charger with 400-something engine, to replace our 62 6-banger Ford Galaxy. … lol … Surprisingly they didn’t balk when I suggested we go to a Dodge dealership for a test drive. No sale, dad didn’t like the low mpg, but was otherwise copacetic w/the idea; but mom just couldn’t get with any race-car scheme; but she said the seats were comfy. They ended up replacing the 62 w/ another Ford Galaxy, 351 Windsor V8. The 69 Galaxy seemed a little over-powered for the suspension system to me.

1 Like

If I had the play money, there’s a dealership about an hour away that has a nice black on black quad cab 2005 Ram SRT-10 4-speed automatic. The dealership’s website lists the MPG as 9/12

1 Like

We fly Alaska Airlines frequently to see our daughter, and we always purchase “preferred economy” seating. The airline is now using Recaro seats upholstered in leatherette for that section. Very comfortable.

It’s very common to see “no test drives without cash in hand” or “no joy rides” in ads for expensive and/or sporty cars, however every now and then I see that kind of language in an ad for an economy car, or a minivan, or an old work truck, and I think to myself “GTFOH”.

Every time I purchased a used car on Craigslist, I had the seller give me the VIN up front, so I could do a lien search, then when I showed up (with a friend or family member), the money was in the trunk of my car, which was double-locked–meaning that it could only be opened with the key. I always inspected the car first, and if the inspection revealed anything which made me want to bail, then I didn’t bother with a test drive. Otherwise, I test drove the car, and if it ran ok, only then did I produce the money. Under no circumstances would I show off or hand over money just to take a test drive.

I have a 15 Subaru Forester Premium and the seat’s good for about 2-3hrs at a time, helps that I have the power driver’s seat which you can adjust the base at the front and back which I’ve had to change slightly every so often.

That was what i heard about Honda Fit seats too

This is one area I think a lot of car companies have gone backwards on .
A lot of them think you have to have rock hard seats for some reason . Mine are
harder than they need to be on my 2020 Durango . My wifes cheapo 2014 Dodge
Grand Caravan AVP model has much better seats than the Durango .

I don’t think it’s as simple as the hardness or softness of the seats

I’ve sat in plenty of cars with soft seats that were simply uncomfortable

2 Likes

A client picked me up for a 4 hour drive to a meeting, one hour in, it was painful. Seat was way too soft in that Escalade.

+1
When I was a kid and a teenager, I marveled at how comfortable the very soft seats in Renaults and Peugeots were. However, I think that my perception of ultra-soft seat comfort could be very different, now that I’m an oldster. The perception of seat comfort is highly individualized, and something tells me that the age of the person might have a bearing on whether–or not–they think a seat is comfortable.

1 Like

It seems to me that the vast majority of seats are generally too hard and/or uncomfortable no matter who manufactures the car. As someone who has multiple spine ailments the Spanish Inquisition comes to mind at times…

My kids have all makes/models (VW Taos, Dodge Ram, Challenger, Kia Soul, current gen Camaro, Mustang, etc) and the seats in all of them were cast out of concrete.

The only car seats in the past 30 years which are comfortable to me are the ones in my Lincoln Mark but those cars are dated at this point. I’ve driven that vehicle several times for 425 miles at a pop without a stop for gas or suffering any discomfort.
I’ve even had people approach me at gas stations, ask me how I like it, and then tell me the biggest mistake they ever made was getting rid of their Mark some years ago as they missed the performance and comfort.

I loathe riding in the back seat of anything, but on a road trip once with others I rode in the back seat of the Mark and it was downright comfortable and roomy in spite of the exterior size.