2015 Volvo XC60 Excessive Oil Consumption - Seeking Practical Advice

The electronic monitor allows the person to check oil level while setting in the drivers seat. That should be easy for any of today’s video playing kids.

1 Like

I read that. The monitor is not a go-no-go gauge, it actually reads oil level and displays it if it is anything like my Audi. It will show the driver how far below full the oil level is.

You don’t need to open the hood, get a paper towel and check the level, you just push a button… yet he still doesn’t do that! Neither will his kids if he doesn’t impress upon them that they should check it.

1 Like

Wow…guy leaves for a bit and folks start piling on! I am checking the oil via the electronic oil function at least weekly and I will teach my child to do the same. We had the oil changed at 60,000. At 62,685 the car message stated “Oil Level Low Refill 1 quart/1 liter” and I put in a quart of oil, thus my theory that I’m burning approximately 1 quart of oil per 5,000 miles. Unfortunately, the message reappeared this morning with the same warning and I’m just over 64,000 miles.

You do realize that you can add less then a quart of oil don’t you ? You don’t have to wait until the silly machine tells you it is a quart low.

Of course! Thank you.

How do you get 1 quart per 5,00 miles from this? I read it as a quart in 2,685 miles, then another in 1,315 miles. This would indicate a severely worsening problem in a very short time. Any signs of leaks?

Drive on and continue to enjoy the car. It looks like you are taking adequate precautions. Just be aware that we often have visitors that do not check thecar routinely and complain about how the car ran out of oil.

Your theory needs some better math. You are using one quart in 2,685 miles. You never said you checked the oil weekly. You didn’t say you added oil. You led us to believe the dealer found the low oil.

Now if the kids drive 10K miles a year, the car will be 4 quarts low on oil and will definitely need a new engine in about a year of letting the kids drive it.

In an information vacuum, we can only assume the worst.

1 Like

Mustangman, thanks for your comments and callling out my numbers. Here are the numbers based on the past 3 months. The electronic oil monitor is what alerted me initially to the issue, and I had taken it to the dealer for their thoughts, which led to them stating it needed the ring/piston job for $5,000.

The 9/10 date represents the oil change, then a quart of oil added at 62,685 and then another quart one added today at 64,114.

There are no noticeable odors, no smoke and no leaks on the garage floor.

@dkrickeltonjr_159512. I don’t think your car needs a ring job. If I owned a car with no more oil consumption than what you indicated, I wouldn’t want the engine opened up for new rings. There is no guarantee that new rings would make any difference.
Sometimes, changing the brand of oil (not the viscosity-use the viscosity specified in your owner’s manual) may make a difference.

There is a Volvo service bulletin to replace the piston rings for the oil consumption problem, the manufacture is aware of the problem.

While the vehicle is 14,000 miles out of warranty you might still contact Volvo corporate and ask if there is a customer support program for the oil consumption problem on your vehicle.

1 Like

I don’t understand how tou calculated your oil useage at I quart in 5000 miles. Your Volvo seems to have a very complicated crankcase ventilation instead of just a pvc valve.

I would talk to your dealer service dept and see what they suggest.

You can live with what you have now, but not if it keeps getting worse.

We have owned 3 PT Cruisers in our family, one bought new. All 3 burned one quart every 2500 miles. That never got worse or better in any of them.

+1
My friend’s Rav-4 has an oil consumption problem, and–by chance–I found that conventional Pennzoil reduced the rate of oil consumption, as compared to conventional Valvoline, conventional Castrol, and Mobil-1.

All, thanks for the information to this point. Here is updated information over the past few months. This is obviously getting worse and worse. Would appreciate any updated thoughts here. The 60,413 mileage was at the 60,000 mile service.

image Date Mileage Miles Between Days
9/10/2019 60,413
10/9/2019 62,685 2,272 29
11/8/2019 64,114 1,429 30
11/20/2019 64,900 786 12

I’m really surprised at some of the responses to your initial post - my wife and I have owned 2 Saabs, a Honda, and Acura, 3 Volvos, and a BMW and never had oil consumption anything like I’ve had on my 2015.5 XC60. (My guess is these guys who are so sanguine about it are talking about cars from decades ago - modern engines should NOT be burning oil anything like this). It’s a known defect with this engine and Volvo has admitted as such.

In late 2017 Volvo replaced the rings when the issue got really bad and also extended our warranty rather than replace the engine. Now the issue has come back in full force and - as seems to be the case with you - it’s getting worse and worse. I’ve re-engaged with Volvo and they seem to be taking the issue seriously and are running an oil consumption test. I’m burning a quart about every 2500 miles now, but 10,000 miles ago it was very little. And like i said its accelerating.

In parallel, we recently got a letter about a class action lemon law suit regarding this issue with certain engines from 2015-2017. I’ve been in contact with the law firm, and will pursue this if I don’t get satisfaction from Volvo. If you want their contact info just reply or DM me.

Good luck.

1 Like

I would be extremely surprised if any vehicle manufacturer considered the consumption of 1 qt per 2,500 miles to be excessive.

1 Like

If only that were true. VW group engines are known oil burners, Subaru is having problems with oil burning. Carmakers typically consider oil consumption of less than a quart per 1000 miles ‘acceptable’. You may not, but it’s up to them as far as repairs go.

3 Likes

@texases you’ll notice I didn’t say some don’t burn oil (obviously, I have this issue now), I said that modern engines should not be burning oil. And that’s true. If an engine from 2000+ is burning nearly that much oil it’s a bad design or a defective part.

Fortunately Volvo seems to acknowledge this and at least (I think) in good faith replaced my rings thinking that was the problem. They told me it was a known issue and after the ring replacement I’d never burn oil (within reason).

My main motivation for posting was the guy that started the thread seemed to get piled on for thinking this was “excessive” consumption, but he is 100% right that it is, and Volvo agrees. I just wanted to share my experience confirming that.

1 Like

Thank you for the rational response! I was surprised how I was jumped on when posting on this topic you

1 Like

You were jumped on because you told us you were burning one quart per 5000 miles which is no problem at all. From the figures you gave us I can’t figure out how you ever thought it was 5000 per quart.

It is clear now that you have a serious and worsening oil burning problem. I urge you to complain repeatedly to the dealer and as far up the corporate line as you can.

I wish you luck and hope Volvo takes care of you.

2 Likes