2015 Kia Optima - How do I find a good mechanic?

Need a good mechanic for general maintenance. Reasonable and reliable.

There is one in Sydney , Australia and one in Fairbanks , Alaska .

1 Like

Ask friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations.

2 Likes

Google Reviews are also helpful.

Yelp or Next Door would also yield local shops, check with co-workers and friends for suggestions on a reliable shop to deal with.

1 Like

It might be helpful to have some kind of idea of more or less where in the world you are looking…

only 1 each?? :rofl: :rofl: :upside_down_face:

Maintain a good relationship with your dealer so that when it time to replace your engine you might be high on the list. Despite the known problems with their engines they will question your maintenance history and “what color was the warning light when your engine failed”?

Last week Hyundai added another 129,000 vehicles to the engine recall list. It seems that my timing belts last twice as long as Hyundai engines.

I think you posted to the wrong thread Mr. Nevada .

In the past you have recommended that vehicle owners have their oil changed at dealers during the warranty period to maintain a no doubt record of maintenance. Should a vehicle with a high engine failure rate be serviced by any slop in Fairbanks Alaska?

I believe that those who own these troubled vehicles should maintain a relationship with a dealer.

Are 2015 also prone to trouble?
“The problem became so widespread that Kia issued a recall on all 2011 through 2014 model Optima sedans.”

Yes, most mechanics are unreasonable.

It reminds me of the guy asked a friend to recommend a contractor. He said, I want one that is good, fast and cheap. His friend saidm he doesn’t exist. Pick 2 out of the three.

1 Like

OP – You asked a reasonable beginner’s question. It’s admirable that you want to know how to take care of your car without going to the dealer for everything, but your question is too broad (general maintenance or a specific problem?). Unfortunately, some of the replies seem to range from humorous to off-topic. The people here are usually more helpful than that; maybe they are under some strain.

In general:

Be more specific – do you need routine maintenance (e.g., oil changes) or do you have a specific problem (car barely runs, and smoke filling passenger compartment; WiFi won’t stay connected)?

Ask friends, neighbors and colleagues. Who do they use? What kind of service have they had done? Were the repairs done efficiently (good diagnosis, not just guess-and-replace)?

Use the various internet reviews mentioned above, and the Mechanics Files on this site (if you can find them), but realize that internet reviews might be biased (even self-posted) and outdated.

Be willing to try one and move on if not satisfied.

Regarding “reasonable” – First, realize that mechanics need to make a living. Modern cars are complicated; besides the 100-year old mechanical technology, the 75-year-old electrical technology, and the 50-year-old electronic technology, cars now are loaded with computer technology. Mechanics need a LOT of training (or experience) and TONS of tools and diagnostic equipment, the shop facility costs money to buy/rent and maintain, and somebody has to up-front the capital to stock parts so you don’t need to wait three weeks for brake pads. The customer has to expect to pay for that. Consider how much the service is worth to you; MAYBE try to do some price comparisons. Somewhat aside, often enough I see (on neighborhood forums) people seeking reasonable plumbers, appliance repair, electricians, gardeners, whatever; I do not see inquiries about “reasonable” neurosurgeons, wealth managers, personal injury attorneys, whatever.

Second, realize that some dealers are “reasonable” and reliable (and that some independent mechanics’ skills and ethics might not be as good as you want).

Third, the experts here generally warn away from quick-lube and chain-brand repair shops, UNLESS you learn of one that is reliable or you already know enough to check their work before you drive away (did they put in oil? did they drain the old oil first? are the brakes working properly?)

Fourth, realize that even with competent, honest mechanics some problems are hard to solve or require multiple fixes, and even good people sometimes make mistakes (but are willing to correct them).

And a piece of general advice – Cars are expensive and complicated. You have to expect to spend money to maintain them. The better you maintain them (READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!), and the better you treat them when you drive, the less you will have to spend on expensive repairs.

So, be more specific about what you need, and use your available information resources wisely. Effort and patience will be rewarded. Good luck.

1 Like