2015 Honda Fit - Peeling paint

Thanks! Will check it out.

Manufactures won’t issue a recall for paint defects, if there is any assistance it will be with a warranty extension on the paint.

Don’t wash your car with dish soap for 2 reasons. 1) As prevously mentioned, dish soap is an excellant wax remover. 2) Dish soap leaves a coating to make the dishes shiny. That coating traps dirt on the car.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the warranty and not using dish soap.

People seem to know that they shouldn’t use car wash detergent on their dishes, so I am always amazed that some folks think that dish detergent is appropriate for use on cars.
:thinking:

I use dish soap to wash car before I wax it, makes things easier, but YES, it strips any remaining old wax/sealant.

1 Like

And using dish soap had nothing to do with the paint problems.

2 Likes

I have been using dish soap to wash my 1996 Dodge for the last 18 years and the clear coat is beginning to peel so you can expect to have trouble 20 years from now. On the other hand it is common for clear coat to peel after 10 to 15 years on vehicles here in the hot desert sun.

1 Like

I thought “certified” used cars were supposed to be free of accidents and body work? Is this not the case, or did the seller miss it?

2 Likes

The dealership is supposed to make sure the car wasn’t in an accident

That said, touching up scrapes and scratches is acceptable, up to a point

What that means is that there are guidelines . . . buffing out a scratch up to such and such length is acceptable

3 Likes

In that case, depending on the extent of the body work and if that’s the reason for the peeling paint, OP would have grounds to demand the dealer fix it since the car would have been misrepresented by being sold as certified.

Of course, that’s as a last resort. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt before bringing in the lawyers. :wink:

1 Like

Being a certified used car does not insure that a body panel has not been repainted, if it did most used cars would not be eligible to be sold as certified.

The dealer mentioned the door “might” have been replaced

If so, the car shouldn’t have received cpo status, by estimation

Manufacturers will occasionally decertify a vehicle, but it would have to be proven that the dealership made some egregious errors, such as certifying a vehicle that had clearly had a bent frame, or had new rocker panels welded in, to use some extreme examples

VDC
that was unhelpful

Have you heard from the dealer yet and have you seen the Carfax report .