2015 Honda Fit issue

Rocko, I owe you an apology. I was responding to the post at the top of this page without realizing there was an entire first page that I was oblivious to. Ironically, I had posted on that first page too, but didn’t realize it was there.

The pothole hit changes everything. While the damaged wheel bearing won’t affect the TPMS system, you may have also damaged the TPMS system… specifically the pressure sensor in the wheel that you hit the pothole with. This IS something that might be corrected by the same shop that replaces the wheel bearing. Be sure to tell them about it.

Thanks man

When you take you car to the dealer with the low tire pressure light on they return it to you with the light on or does it come on the next day?

When i took it last time it was quite a few months ago, before I took it in, it came on like twice. It hasn’t come back on again until today

And you inflated the tire to XX psi?

On a car this new, you probably have full-coverage auto insurance. Might be worth a call to your insurance agent.

Good luck

2015 Honda Fit doesn’t have in-wheel TPMS sensors. Read your owner’s manual. Does it tell you how to reset the TPMS?

If it doesn’t use a pressure sensor, it much be using the wheel speed sensors. That too could have gotten damaged during the pothole hit.

So Ive read on a few places that a sign of a bad wheel bearing is when you put the car up on a jack and give the tire a shake if it gives or wiggles even a bit, thats a sign of a bad bearing. So today I did that and it didnt give at all. No movement whatsoever. Though stupid me, I didnt try to spin the tire to see if I can hear the humming sound I still hear

I have replaced dozens of noisy wheel bearings, none of them had any play. They don’t make audible noise when the vehicle is off the ground, you may hear something with a stethoscope.

Take a technician for a road test, demonstrate the speed that the noise occurs and they may be able to identify which side the noisy wheel bearing is on.

And how long do bad wheel bearings last? This noise has been going on for almost a year now

The one experience I had with bad wheel bearing, it lasted for about 50 miles, at which point the wheel froze. Started with ticking noise.

The wheel bearing will last until the wheel falls off. You have an almost new car, is there some reason you don’t have this fixed? Even if a mechanic just suspected a wheel bearing but was not sure the repair cost is still better than crashing the car.

+1 to VolvoV70’s comment.

The repair cost will certainly not become cheaper by waiting to fix this almost-new car, and could wind up being much more expensive if it results in a breakdown in a remote area that necessitates a tow to an unknown mechanic’s shop. And, if the delay results in an accident, the cost would potentially be MUCH higher, in terms of both dollars and the health of the car’s occupants.

Why would somebody delay a repair when that delay could easily lead to a major safety problem?

I’ve taking it to the dealership a few times already complain to them about the noise I hear and every time they told me that they don’t hear a noise and that it’s probably just road noise caused by the tires. Actually the first time I took it in they said the noise was caused by the splash guard and they said they fixed it but the noise is still there

And the thing is everytime I take it I tell them they need to drive it on a street or highway to hear the noise but they never drive it off the lot no just testing around in the parking lot

I have a trip coming in about a week so I’m taking it back to the dealership on Monday and and I’m going to be insistent that they fix the problem because I still have the 3 year 36000 mile manufacturer warranty

“I’m going to be insistent that they fix the problem because I still have the 3 year 36000 mile manufacturer warranty.”

The factory warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, and does not cover problems that may arise from accidents or owner negligence. That is reality, and–IMHO–is the way that it should be.

You already told the folks at the dealership that you drove into a massive pothole just before the problem arose, so if they have a good memory–and especially if any of the repair invoices state something along the lines of “customer states that he hit a large pothole”–then if you do indeed need a new wheel bearing, the repair will be at your expense, and it will not be covered by warranty.

Actually I took it in the first two months I had it I never told them I hit a pothole that just started hearing a noise coming out of it

ROcko you have been told several times that this problem is not covered by the factory warranty. You keep going back to the dealer with the same results so why do that.

Also you do not need to make a new post for every sentence. To the far right of your screen name your cursor will roll over what looks like a gear, click on that and you can edit or add to your post.