2015 GMC 3500 - Rusty running boards and honesty

Has GM ever owned up to the rusting running board issue, as have the identical problem with a 2015 I purchased less than a year old from a GMC dealer in Canada. I feel that they are unsafe to use as a step know and will also need to replace them

I thought they were just for decoration and not really a step anyways. Yeah who would have thought rust would happen to metal.

I use the running boards on my F150 every time. Running boards are necessary for many people.

Sounds like it’s particularly an issue with the factory running boards, although without some sort of protection the aftermarket one’s may meet the same fate.

Most of the full size pickups you need something just to get into the cab . The full size Dodges are ridiculously high now . You need to be a high school high jumper just to get in .

Regardless of when you purchased it, it is now 6 model years old. Road salt eats steel, especially if it isn’t cleaned off regularly.

At the risk of starting a contentious debate, if you require running boards to get into your vehicle, then you have too large of a vehicle. There are dozens of compact and subcompact crossovers nowadays that don’t require running boards for entry, nor do they require you to stoop down like a sedan.

If my 85-year-old grandmother with two artificial hips and advanced rheumatoid arthritis can make it into one of these cars, just about anyone can.

Get serious , my neighbor who is 5’ 6’ and has to have a large truck to tow a large heavy trailer for his contract oil well business . Wait until I tell him just how wrong he is . Or what about short people who live where they have deep snow drifts and mountains. Sorry , Mr . Bike there is not a one size all requirement .

6 Likes

Even my 2WD Ranger, w/o running boards was a stretch.

I have no desire to drive granny’s grocery getter, nor will they pull my boat. I’m quite happy with my F150 and my Mustang, FYI, no running boards on the Mustang

3 Likes

The vehicle in question is a 1-ton pickup. While some of these are vanity purchases, I doubt most of them are.

There are plenty of full-size vehicles without running boards as well. you’re not relegated to granny’s grocery getter.

I’m only pointing out a very common complaint “I need running boards because of [insert health condition here]”

I would flip that. Most of them are vanity purchases – whether the owner is willing to admit it or not. We simply don’t use pickups or other large vehicles for their intended purpose – hauling huge amounts of cargo – on a regular basis anymore.

1 Like

I’m dead serious, and I will hold my stance on this firmly. Your neighbor is in a minority of individuals for whom a large truck with running boards may be a legitimate need. What I said a general rule of thumb, and obviously is going to have exceptions.

I agree, although I think vanity purchases would be more likely to be jacked up.

That’s a real thing. I had a hip problem for a while a few years ago, and had a rental Nisan Frontier that was raised. I could get in, but it was a chore. While on one of those business trips, I sat in the back of a colleague’s extended cab pickup. It was hell getting out of it since the position I was in put too much stress on the hip. That’s over for now, thankfully.

Hmm, being shorter than Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a health condition?

3 Likes

So shorter people aren’t allowed to buy pickups? Oooookaaaay…

5 Likes

I was at the GM dealer the other day and they had the biggest highest pickup truck I have ever seen!

And? Look, I don’t like the truck-as-a-fashion-statement fad any more than you do if for no other reason than it makes pickups more expensive, but that doesn’t mean that some of us with pickups don’t use them for their intended purpose. I replaced my wonderful old Japanese minitruck with a Tundra last summer because I needed more towing capacity. It is entirely a utility purpose. I already have a daily-driver car. The truck gets used to haul yard materials, and pull trailers. If it’s not being used for those purposes, it’s parked.

My truck is stock. It doesn’t have a lift kit, etc, so it’s as low as you’re going to get a stock Tundra, and I’m not exactly immobile, yet the door sill is high enough up that I’ll be installing running boards on it this Spring. People want high-up trucks, and those of us that don’t, don’t get a choice anymore.

Beyond that, whatever OP bought the truck for, rusting running boards is a legitimate cause for upset. She wants advice on that problem, not lectures on how she screwed up by buying a pickup.

8 Likes

you can put whatever spins you want on what I’m saying. If you’re short and you have legitimate need for a large vehicle, and you need running boards to get in, that’s fine. even if you don’t have a need, fine…it’s a free country, do what you want.

but i stand by my original statement…okay i’ll add “generally speaking” to it. Generally speaking, people don’t need cars with running boards, they are a modern addition to cars as they have exploded in size, and are a trademark characteristic of the “bigger is better” fad that has overtaken the industry.

I wasn’t replying to OP, I was replying to the comment about running boards being a necessity