2015 Ford F-150 - Now the warranty problem is my problem

I have a 2015 F150 that has had FOUR oil pans on it and the FOURTH one is leaking. It has 36,686 miles on it. So far the dealership has covered the repairs as the first one was under warranty but no oil pan has lasted 8,000 miles. Now the dealership tells me the valve covers are creating pressure causing the oil pan leak and it’s my dollar.

there is a TSB for your problem. I am guessing you have a 2.7 engine. there are many others with this problem from 2015-2017.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/TSB/EU/ (nhtsa.gov)
you can go the LEMON LAW route.

(New Message) Ford F-150 Oil Leak Problem - Lemon Law Alert

1 Like

Welcome to the forum…

What engine does it have??

The new TSB says that the valve covers are creating pressure causing the oil pan to leak and that both valve covers must be replaced. TSB 23-2083.

I take it you have the 2.7L then as Weekend-Warrior mentioned then…?..
If so, sounds like problem solved…

Yes it has a 2.7 engine. The first oil pan was replaced in 2019 when the truck was four years old. Again in 2020. Again in 2021 the service manager told me that the oil pan had studs around it and two were bent over and they had been replacing the oil pan on top of the bent studs. He said that they straightened them and replaced the third oil pan, not including the original which makes a total of FOUR PANS. The service manager said the problem was resolved but at just over 36,000 miles it’s leaking again. Up until the last leak the dealership was replacing it free. Now with TSB 23-2083 the valve covers must be replaced as they are creating pressure causing the oil pan to leak. The dealership is now telling me that they will have to charge me just over $800. and that they are giving me a deal considering their $120. hourly rate for service. It was initially fixed under warranty but I have less than 8000 miles on their last repair. If you consider the truck has just over 36,000 miles that’s about 9000 per oil pan. Seems to me Ford should warrant repairs longer than 9000 miles. And I don’t understand your statement “problem solved.” Respectfully yours!

You probable need to talk to Corp (phone and email) Ford and talk to them (nicely but firmly) and inform them that the dealer failed to use the TSB that was updated (due to finding the correct issue causing the known problem) to repair your vehicle while still under warranty and they replaced the leaking oil pan, but not the reason for the leaking oil pan multiple times and now that it is out of warranty they are telling you (after they never fixed it right in the 1st place) that they will only repair it if you pay for the repair…
And an on going problem with a vehicle that is not repaired correctly 3 times or more while under warranty is subject to the Lemon Law (depending on your states laws) and they either need to repair it correctly in a timely manor with a warranty or buy back the vehicle, or you will be addressing the issue with your lawyer…

You might trying a different dealer if one close enough and talk to there service manager to see if he/she can help any better…

Sorry you are having to go through this…

3 Likes

If this is an ongoing problem that was originally worked on under warranty, it should still be considered a warranty repair IMO. Take @davesmopar’s advice and contact Ford politely. If the first person you talk to can’t help you ask to speak to the supervisor. Follow up with email or snail mail.

3 Likes

It appears you have what’s called an on-going warranty issue.

This protects consumers from dealers who try to get out of a warranty repairs because the warranty has lapsed, but the warranty issue is still unresolved.

A lot of people don’t know about this consumer protection law, and dealers get people pay for repairs that they shouldn’t have to.

Tester

3 Likes

As others have said, escalate this to corporate because this wasn’t fixed correctly under warranty. The procedure should be listed somewhere in your owner’s manual.

The oil pan is definitely going to leak if all the studs that hold it on aren’t close to perfect. It is hard to imagine any shop installing an oil pan over bent-over studs. They would normally just replace any faulty oil pan stud they discovered before proceeding. I guess my first question would be: Which shop did that?

Have you read any of the post?? lol
OP has been taking it to the dealer under factory warranty…

Ray Varner Ford. The first repair lasted 805 miles. The second 3512. The third 7781. Ford won’t stand behind it. The dealer is going to fix it if I buy the parts and they will do the labor free.

With a vehicle that is now 8 years old?
As others stated, if the previous oil pan was replaced under warranty, then this rapidly recurring problem is a warranty issue–but the OP will probably have to (politely) press the corporate folks on that issue.

Unlikely the cause of OP’s problem, but a recent podcast had a puzzler about repeated corrosion-related oil pan failures. Turned out, part of the exhaust system was too close to the oil pan. OP could search through the last 2-3 months of puzzler archives if they want to read it. Worth a check anyway. Weird symptoms like this could also be caused by an electrical system grounding problem. Make sure engine has a solid ground connection to the chassis. But if the fasteners are bent, that’s obviously the first priority …

I don’t understand how the valve covers could be involved, unless it’s some sort of issue w/the pcv system. Making sure the pcv valve remains in good working order seems like the first step.

1 Like

A circuit grounding issue wouldn’t have an effect on a composite (plastic) oil pan with form-in-place sealer.

Turbocharged engines have complicated crankcase ventilation systems, there is no vacuum for the PCV valve during boost. Don’t try to figure this out, leave this to the technician with the (new) service bulletin.