2015 Chevrolet Volt

With price of fuel going up again, I am considered an used Chevy Volt, the 2015 model with the Safety Package with rearview camera, etc. But we do not have a garage to place EV charger unit. Blogs about running an extension cord out on ground to EV car make this alternative sound like a viable option. We live on an island in the Puget Sound with less than normal rain but this cord and charging unit will get wet. Safety issues to consider?

I’d get a hybrid instead, no charging in the rain.

Do you need an extension cable, or is the cable with the charger long enough? I’d guess you are buying the 240V charger from the Chevy dealer. Ask them what they think about running the cord across the ground. My guess is that it is not a problem. We have our Christmas lights on for several weeks before Christmas in all weather and we have never had a problem. A weather tight seal at both ends of the cord is what you need. If you need an extension cord because the charging cable is not long enough, you need to keep water out of the cable connections. This might be as simple as taping over the plug connections with waterproof tape, and make sure the cables don’t sit in puddles between the house and the car. I’d park the car as close to the house as possible. If you don’t have a driveway, buy something else.

you can’t run the cable over a sidewalk, so you have to have a driveway to park the car while charging. Take some measurements and then ask the dealer about cable length.

Otherwise, get a different car.

This is another vote that the extension cord idea is bad. There is a big difference between Christmas lights and charging a Volt. The only way I would do this is to have an electrical contractor run underground sealed lines from the house to a stand up charging station and that is going to be rather pricey.

That is why I said extra precautions are necessary for the 240V line. Doing gas in anything it a garage or driveway that runs up to the house is too dangerous for me.

The Volt IS a hybrid… no matter what GM says!

It is a plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle or PHEV.

2 different types of fuel go in, gas and electricity, hence it’s a hybrid.

Correct. missed that. Volt vs Bolt. So the OP doesn’t need a charger at all. Or just use one on warm summer days.

I think OP is talking about running a normal extension cord out. Like, 120v, 15A. It’d work, and you could use watertight connections, but it would take an absurdly long time to reach full charge. You might not even be able to get a full charge on it if you left it overnight.

It’s a plug in hybrid, I know that. One loses lots of EV range if you don’t plug it in. That’s why I’m suggesting a regular hybrid, no plug in, good mpgs.

You can make and they sell 240VAC cables to run from the charger to the car. Rain isn’t going to be an issue for the cable or where it plugs into the car. That’s already been accounted for in the design.

The big issues will be if the charging station is designed for outdoor placement and the cord being a trip hazard.

I concur with @TwinTurbo. There is a charging station on the campus where I was employed. The station is at one parking place near the gym
There is a Volt that used the station im all kinds of weather. The cable plugs into the Volt. The charger is in a weather proof housing. The power comes from an underground source. I saw the recharging station being installed a couple of years ago. I am certain a qualified electrician could install an outdoor station for the OP.
On our campus, one has to have a permit to park in the parking place with the charging station. No vehicle without a permit is allowed to park there. Up until a year ago, we would see a person drive up in the Volt and connect the charger to the car when we would go to the gym to work out. However, I haven’t seen the Volt or driver in more than a year