2015 Audi A4 oil change interval

I go by the OLMs now and it’s easily 10k or more between changes. Most OLMs factor in those conditions that would be considered severe. Not one of my cars uses or has used enough oil between changes to warrant adding any. I’ve never had to divest myself of a car due to engine failure. They rust out with 250 to 300k on them. So it’s not just extended changes causing issues, must be more to it. Likely some designs/applications/oil types/etc may be more prone to negative effects…

I do a lot of thinking out cutting the grass and this subject came up. I think both sides are trying to use logic to support either extended or more frequent oil changes. But I think it is a question of the heart versus the head. Some of us like mechanical things and like to take care of them whether it makes sense or not. Others just see them as a means to an end. I like taking care of mechanical things just because I appreciate them. So I change oil more frequently, wax and polish my machines including my washing machine and lawn mower. Its from the heart not the head.

My CPA BIL would calculate the cost of extra oil changes and compare that to when he would trade and what effect that would have on trade in value. So if it makes monetary sense he would do it. My other mechanical genius BIL polishes, chromes, and cares for mechanical things like me, just because. We consider them works of art and appreciate what they do for us and the people that made them.

Why else would it make sense to wax and polish your cars just before it rains or the birds drop on it? So to both you guys, you are both right, but I’ll still change my lawn mower oil and car oil at 50% instead of 1% because it’s from my heart not my head.

1 Like

HI Everyone

Thank you for all of the opinions on this topic. I ended up changing my oil at 39k miles and requested that the dealership show me a picture of the oil being drained from the car. Prior to me purchasing this car the oil had been changed at 35k miles about 8 months ago. I was surprised to see that the oil was not that dirty. Regardless, i will continue changing my oil every 6 months because i still still believe 10k or 1 year is too long to wait.

I also read the comment about this being an emotional decision much like washing and waxing the car after it rains. I fall into this camp also. If this is emotional, so be it!

There are downsides to overly frequent oil changes. Cost in time and money, of course, but increased risk of the job being done wrong: wrong oil put in, misthreaded and damaged threads so oil leaks out, and no oil put in, in order of magnitude.

I change my own oil and have been for 50 years so I’m kinda used to it.

Same here. If there’s a screwup, I have only myself to blame.