2014 Volkswagen Jetta - Doesn't Start Right Away

There are times when the starter does not ignite right away. One person told me that the injectors are not holding fuel properly, and I need to turn the key half way, wait 7 seconds then turn it the rest of the way to start the engine.
Would injector cleaner help remedy this issue? If so, what brand do you recommend for a gasoline engine?

Injector cleaner might help, can’t hurt. I like Techron.

Thank you.

When you turn the key to Run (not all the way to Start) the fuel pump should run for a few seconds - you may hear it, back in the gas tank. That sends fuel, and fuel pressure, to the engine. A couple more Off-Run steps of this “key dance” should get enough fuel and pressure for the engine to start, so turn the key all the way to Start. The starter motor then should run, turning the crankshaft so the pistons go up and down and the valves open and close.The engine should fire up and run.

(The starter motor doesn’t ignite - the fuel, sprayed into the cylinders, is ignited by the spark plugs.)

If this key dance does the trick, you may never need to have any repairs done for this problem, as long as you and other drivers know it. My 1999 Honda acts this ways sometimes, especially when the fuel level is low.

Good luck and please let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks Shanonia. Do you start your Honda this way every time? I experience this only about 2-3 times a month, even though I drive the car every day and may start it several times in a day, so I never know when it will behave this way.

Maybe once a year. You may have a leaking fuel injector - that’ll let fuel get into a cylinder, and the fuel pressure drops. A Techron fuel system cleaner might clear that. Another cause is a failed anti-drainback valve. That is usually part of the fuel pump assembly. More expensive to repair. Maybe not really necessary if the key dance works. Does it happen with a full tank, too?

I don’t think so, but I’ll need to continue monitoring it. Thank you for the tips!