2014 Tesla Model S - Am I the only one with multiple drive unit failures?

This relates to a failure of the drive unit. Has anyone else had multiple failures of the drive unit system including bearing noise (Tesla did warranty those), Inverter (short circuit blowing main fuse), and/or instances of water found inside the inverter or motor itself. For that last question it seems that Tesla service centers are trying to blame drivers for traveling through standing water, but I have evidence that that’s not the case.

Car and Driver did an early test of the S, suffered multiple failures I believe. Do a search on their web site for more info.

Well, yes, there are Model S with lots of drive unit failures. Fits with this news article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/consumer-reports-electric-vehicles-less-reliable-on-average-than-conventional-cars-and-trucks/ar-AA1kJfRc

Even tesla Fanboys admit this is an issue, and that’s really, really hard for them to admit!

Suggest to inquire w/your insurance agent as well. Just curious, what is the premium you pay for yearly insurance on this vehicle?

Why? Regular car insurance doesn’t pay for repairs. And likely you’d have to wait quite a while for them to stop laughing after repeating Tesla service centers are trying to blame drivers for traveling through standing water.

Gee, who’d ever THINK a car, even an EV, might drive through puddles? :rofl:

3 Likes

??? … maybe you want to qualify?

…maintenance repairs not caused by striking another vehicle or solid object.

If your rear axle fails on your truck, that’s on you, not normal car insurance. Extended warranty, maybe, if you could convince one to sell it for your 53 y/o truck.

2 Likes

Tester

The April 2022 car issue of Consumer Reports has reliability ratings as far back as 2014. The 2014 Tesla Model S is rated Much Worse Than Average for Overall Reliability, Engine Major, Engine Minor, Drive System, Electrical, Paint/Trim, Noises/Leaks, Body Hardware, Power Equipment, and In-Car Electronics.

It rates Much Better Than Average for Transmission Major, Transmission Minor, Fuel System, and Exhaust - all systems which Teslas do not have. Also Climate System, which it does have.

1 Like

Is what the OP calls a “drive unit” what I and most other people call a motor?

Pretty much yes, the drive unit is the motor. A bit more than just the motor hence the drive unit name. But high tech Tesla needs high tech names for things… :wink:

None of your business, @George_San_Jose1. If you want to know, contact your insurer and ask them or do a web search. There are websites that will estimate insurance costs.

1 Like

I agree, I almost would bet that all the regulars on this forum could all by the exact same vehicle and everyone of us would have different ins rates just do to different demographics, age, driving record, age and sex… probably missed something also…

1 Like

Just changing address by a few miles can change your car insurance rate.

1 Like

Here ya go George, for your Googling pleasure…

https://www.google.com/search?q=average+insurance+rates+for+a+2014+Tesla+Model+S&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS947US948&oq=average+insurance+rates+for+a+2014+Tesla+Model+S&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTIxMzZqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 Like

??? … Isn’t this a discussion forum about cars?

How much any of us pays for insurance of any kind is our own business, not yours. How much do you pay for your insurance for your truck and car, broken down by vehicle? Did you pay insurance on the Corolla while it was parked? Was it lower than when you drive it?

1 Like

The company where i worked for many years made the insureds credit score a key determinant of the premium.

1 Like

I think the better response when asked a question here you prefer to not answer, just ignore it.

The high cost of insurance premiums for EV’s is currently a world-wide news story. This is a car-forum. Was it wrong of Forbes to run that article?

Your really don’t get it do you George. You asked a personal question about a poster’s finances. That is not the same as Forbes studying average costs of insuring EVs compared to other vehicles. It is impersonal and does not require a person’s permission to disclose it. I already know that EVs are more expensive to insure than comparable ICE vehicles from personal experience. How much more? None of your business.

1 Like