2014 Nissan Pathfinder - Transmission issue worries

My 2014 Nissan Pathfinder with only 42k miles on it and taken care of like a baby, is being inspected Monday 8/21/20 for the transmission and axle issues described here. My question? Should I sell it after the repairs are done (assuming they do them for FREE) or do I wait and see if it happens a 2nd time?

We can’t see the problem in your post.
If this repair is done under an extended warranty and you like the vehicle, why not keep it?

Sorry! I thought it followed the thread I was on.

My 2014 Pathfinder (with only 42k miles) started lagging, catching, not downshifting properly and it got worse over a week or so and then a humming/drone started in the front end. Dealer said CVT and Nissan is sending out an inspector Monday.

So…doing research online and talking to my son-in-law’s parents who had 2 transmissions replaced then sold theirs for a pittance (!) I’m just wondering the best course if it happens again.

I know the if is a big one but new transmission now (say they do it all) and wheel bearing or axle whatever is the other issue…would I get more $ for the car now? I like it but don’t love it. I use it mostly for pleasure trips around New England, hauling grandkids or parking in tighter spots in the city. For work I drive a 2009 Chevy Silverado pick-up with 50k miles and not a single problem.

If they extend the warranty on this new tranny for just the 24monhts or 24k miles from now (from what I read online)…I’m at 66k miles and would NOT be covered if it happens…though I have an 8 year, 80k warranty right now.

Complicated…sort of. Can revisit after I see what they are willing to do I guess.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

I think you are correct, that this is not a decision you need to make right now. You will have a lot more data by the time the repairs are made. Even then, a quick decision will not be needed. Good luck with all the warranty issues.

Here’s my take. You’re having a transmission that’s known for problems replaced with another transmission that’s known for problems. The design of the replacement transmission is exactly the same as the one that’s failing, so why would you expect different results? Once the Pathfinder is fixed start looking and when you find something you like at a good price, see how much trade in you can get.

1 Like

Thanks. Jumping the gun as they say………will slow it down a bit.

CVTs really need proper preventative maintenance in the form of fluid changes every 30K miles. Contrary to popular belief, not every CVT is doomed to an early death, though.

1 Like

True but it depends on who made the CVT and with a little research, Nissan has a major stake in the manufacturer and decided to continue using a bad design where others didn’t. Still I don’t think any of them are going to hit the 300,000 mile mark with no problems like a standard automatic can.

1 Like

Unless you are being given another vehicle for free, this is really a no-brainer. If Nissan replaces the transmission for free, keep the Pathfinder, and drive it until it no longer moves. As long as you properly maintain the transmission (have the fluid changed every 30,000 miles with approved CVT transmission fluid) and don’t abuse it, there is no reason to think you won’t get at least another 80,000 to 100,000 miles out of this vehicle.

Even assuming the new transmission only lasts for 40,000 miles, like the first one did, I still believe you will extract way more value from this vehicle by keeping it and driving it, versus selling/trading-in and buying something else. Also, the economy is about to crater in a big way, and taking on debt to buy a vehicle at this time would be unwise for anyone.

Why would Nissan then not do a fluid change at 33k as a regular maint item? I know it wasn’t done on mine.

Mine made it to 42k.

We had Sentras, 2 different ones, for an avg of 12 years each, manual transmissions, that both went over 140k before we sold them. Sigh.

They don’t make cars like they used to.

Thank you. Some very good points. The inspector is supposed to show up at my dealer today to see my car and decide what will be done.

I’m sorry for your troubles. More and more I read stories like this that convince me to continue staying away from CVT transmissions…

I’d also like to mention that Nissan isn’t in charge of the maintenance on your vehicle, especially transmission fluid changes. I get the transmission fluid changed on all our vehicles at 3 years or 30K miles, regardless of what the manual (or dealer) says. If your Nissan dealer won’t change the transmission fluid, I’m sure there’s a local shop that will gladly do it.

And I’m no lawyer, but I believe if you have documentation of the maintenance being done, at a dealer or otherwise, then you’ll avoid any potential issues with the factory warranty.

And finally, for what it’s worth… pending the outcome of the current diagnostic, I’d lean toward keeping the Pathfinder and driving it, too. Seems like the better choice. The devil you know and all…

Good luck.