2014 Mazda 6 Transmission Failure

Looks like his car was only 4 years old at the time. Yours is 9 years old. Are you planning to call to tell them how pleased you are it lasted so long? :wink:

2 Likes

+1 to TwinTurbo’s comment.

While I’m sure that the Mazda corporate folks (contact info can be found in your Owner’s Manual) would be too polite to laugh at the OP, they–and most other people–would find it laughable that someone expects a vehicle manufacturer to provide warranty-type coverage on a vehicle whose warranties expired at least four years ago.

Nobody at Mazda is going to help you with a transmission issue on a car that is almost 10 years old.

Ask your friends, neighbors, and coworkers for the name of a local reputable transmission repair shop.

2 Likes

Look in your owner’s manual. There should be contact information for a Mazda corporate representative, used in situations where a dealership isn’t able to address the owner’s concern. Above posts are correct of course, unlikely Mazda will perform any warranty repairs at this point. But they may well be interested in what you have to say, with the idea of improving their products.

I wrote a short letter to the manufacturer-rep after I had a few months experience driving my newly purchased Corolla. This was back in the early 90’s. Not complaining or wanting anything, just to offer up my experience and areas I believed the car wasn’t performing as well as I had hoped. Someone from the manufacturer promptly & politely replied, thanking me for my observations, and saying they would forward my comments to the design & engineering departments.

1 Like

I initially worked through the dealer, who also contacted corporate. But my secret weapon was an actual formal letter that I sent, attached to an email, sent to Mazda corporate customer service. I believe I found the email address on their corporate website.

One quick note. I saw someone reference this earlier in the string as well. The letter needs to be filled with your love for the brand, how much you want to continue to buy Mazdas, and your disappointment that this situation has occurred. Also note that I had done ALL of my services at the dealership, so Mazda had a complete record of my diligence in maintenance (and support of my dealer). Good luck!!!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply bloody knuckles and the information. I have about the same miles you had. I was hoping they might help because of the TSB you mentioned. I think your situation really helped you because of the relationship and maintenance history you have with the dealer. I guess Im just going to look for a local transmission shop. Im just curious if a local shop can flash the PCM with updates like the dealer if its needed? I tried flushing my transmission and it ran great but the problem came back after going up hills on the freeway. will try another flush with OEM mazda fluid.

Thanks

I would say that most up to date transmission shops like Aamco Transmission or Mr Transmission will have any updates needed as they put nationwide warranty’s on their work
 As for the Maw & Paw trans shop will all depend on their equipment budget

As far as the transaxle goes it looks pretty simple compared to a lot of other transaxles/transmissions, not sure about any special tools for them other than the normal stuff

I say that meaning that about any trans shop should have the ability to rebuild it if needed, nothing special about it (not recommending you try to lol)
 I am also not seeing any Valve Body Upgrade Kits from TransGo (NOT a shift kit, but a correction updated kit)

Yours transaxle is a Aisin Warner built “FW6A-EL”
https://www.wittrans.com/img/diagrams/154/154.jpg

Thanks Dave

The one thing I saw online was to change oil pressure sensors A and B. The parts were only available at the dealer. Plus it also required the update to the PCM. I changed the Trans filter already on the first flush. Might just need a full rebuild. Will have to have it check out i guess.

I urge the OP to AVOID all chain-run trans shops like AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, and Mr Transmission, as the most prominent part of their collective reputations is the scamming of customers with complete overhauls when only a less-expensive repair was needed.

And, we have had a number of posts over the years from AAMCO customers who tried to take advantage of the “nationwide warranty” when their overhauled transmission died, only to be given a weasel excuse that prevented them from being able to get any help under the terms of that warranty.

Well there are good and bad mechanic shops everywhere and that makes us all look bad, but the truth is I have used both Jim and Dave’s Mr Transmission in Madison Tn and Grant and Jr at AAmco Transmission in Madison Tn for myself and many many satisfied customers
 I have also seen some others Mr Trans and Aamco shops that did have bad reps
 BUT that goes for Local owned transmission shop as well over 30+ years
 So just like anything it all depends on the people working there and running it, they can be good or bad

I worked in Downtown Nashville for years right off the interstate and saw countless people using Maw and Paw stores (even local chains) for work and then when they broke down hundreds of miles away from the house the shop that did the work could not cover the work done and they had to pay for it all over again
 So I have seen Horror stories on both sides of the fence
 Now I have also seen some great customer service from Maw & Paw shops as well
 Do your research and fond out what is best for you and your situation

But if possible I would go with a Jasper engine or trans as they come with Nationwide Warranty’s and will pay what every shop you are at for any warranty work needed

2 Likes

Your welcome sir, just remember that transmission fluid is a cleaner and conditioner by nature (a transmission builders hands are normally very soft compared to your typical mechanics lol)
 So any “dirt” left in the corners (yes I know they are round) can/will be “cleaned out” once new fluid is running through the trans (that the flush didn’t get) sometimes a little at a time depending on how bad it was before
 A human hair can stop a spool valve in the valve body from moving so cleanliness is everything
 But most good filters can/will stop most anything up to a point
 There are also cons to changing “dirty gritty” fluid out
 Transmission work is normally best left up to the trained pros 

The OP should ask friends, neighbors, relatives, and co-workers about their experiences–both positive and negative–with transmission shops in his area. Sooner or later, one or two shops will rise to the top in terms of positive experiences.

The problem here is that if you have one of the first 8,000 Mazda 6’s from the 2014 model year, the transmission itself has a flaw in the design that causes the housing to impinge on the mechanicals inside. This ultimately results in the transmission failing after whining for a while. No amount of rebuilding or flushing is going to change the situation. You will need a reman (with an updated case) or a brand new transmission.

I dont have any whining.

Then your problem is not the subject of the TSB and the manufacturing defect that Mazda knows about. This likely means you will get no relief from them and you will have to eat the full cost of repair or replacement.

I’m just going to chime in without reading the responses. I know that Honda transmissions are a week point so I have the dealer replace fluids every 30,000 miles without fail. I do the same with my Pontiac though.