2014 Hyundai Elantra oil question

its about oil, when the label says 5-30 what is the breakdown or blend of weights ? we know there is 5 & 30 o.2weight in there is there also some 10 and/or 20 weight in there as well ? No.2 if the car says 5-30 on the oil cap, If i change the oil and only have 2 quarts of 5-30 & two quarts of 5-20 laying around is that ok to use. I live in honolulu Ir’s warm ! and I use syn oil in my car.

Why do you even care ? Just put what is recommended for your vehicle in and worry about something else.

There isn’t any 5W oil “in there” with 30 weight and 10 or 20. That is not how it works.

The first number is based on the the cold temperature pump-ability. The second is based on the viscosity of the oil at 40C and 100C. Both of the oil as formulated in the bottle.

If you mix 5w20 into 5w30 you will thin the oil for hot performance and risk your engine, especially in Hawaii. The end result will be 5w25-ish. So don’t. Take the stuff you no longer need to the recycling.

1 Like

great thank you for the info, will follow the advice ! MAHALO & ALOHA

1 Like

my car book says oil of 5-30 or 5-40 is ok to use, If I put 2 quarts 5-30 & two 5-40 in would that be ok ? Elantra has 4qts in engine. thank you.

Hyundai recommends using 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil in the 2014 Hyundai Elantra in all temperatures, but you can opt for 10W-30 oil if the temperature will not fall below 0 degrees F before your next scheduled oil change. You can use regular or synthetic oil in the your Elantra without any change in viscosity.
From your owners manual

Capture

Miles, these engines can have oil issues that cause them to fail. Rather than trying to blend your own oil, I suggest you only use the recommended weight oil in a synthetic and change more often than the severe change interval. Based on @It_s_Me chart, I’d say use 5w20. You live in a very mild climate that doesn’t drop below 0 degrees but the thinner oil will helpmyour fuel mileage and the synthetic will help prevent sludge.

thank your for your response. one more question pls, I have a BMW 2004 330ci there is no owners book, because I live in honolulu temp is never under 55 f. never over 93 f. should i use 5-20 syn in it ?. mahalo & aloha

No

I’m fairly certain your BMW is supposed to get 0W40, which is usually labeled as “european spec” fully synthetic oil. Castrol and Mobil 1 are the big names for that particular viscosity

1 Like

There is only one BMW Auto engine that is 330 cubic inches and that was the1993-2002 V12.

great & mahalo !

Not 330 ci as in cubic inches. 330ci as in 3 series Coupe, 3.0 liter engine, c as in Coupe, i as in fuel injected.

1 Like

The ci foo;ed me, I always read that as cubic inches.

1 Like

wish it had 330 cube in. I think it means coupe

Here’s one I found via Google search:

http://www.linquist.net/system/files/E462004Cic.pdf

The manual I linked says high performance synthetics either 5W-40 or 5W-30…which strikes me as odd, I would’ve bet on 0W-40 too

good to know

Thanks

1 Like

thank you so much for this information. Hard to find. Have a good day. Miles

1 Like

Is it really that hard to buy the correct quantity and type of oil and FILTER when you are going to change the oil. Really if you can’t have the appropriate supplies at hand for an oil change, you shouldn’t be doing it yourself. Put the tools down and back away slowly, and no cars get hurt. I mean really what kind of nonsense question is this?

1 Like

5W20 and 5W30 are recommended by the carmaker. A 50-50 mix of the two oils is entirely within the carmaker’s specs. No problem, no harm.

0W-40 might have been a rare bird in 2004.

2 Likes