2014 Honda CR-V slipped out of park

Awful little cars

@old_mopar_guy. I think the Liquimatic transmission.may have been available on the 1942 Mercury as well. I think Ford replaced these transmissions with manual transmissions or perhaps the whole car. Lincoln didnā€™t install the Hydramatic until mid year 1949. Mercury and Ford got an automatic transmission in 1951. This transmission was developed by Ford and Borg-Warner, but Lincoln still.used the Hydramatic.
@bing. I only know about cars through 1965. After that, everything about cars is blurry. I canā€™t tell a Kia from a Hyundai from a Mazda.
I still remember as a kid going with my parents to the Nash dealer and seeing a new 1950 Rambler convertible. My dad was impressed with the Nash Airflytes of the 1949-1951:model years. However, he didnā€™t have the money to buy one.
I remember making a scrapbook of all the new 1949 cars. Ford, GM, and Chrysler restyled their cars that year. Nash was also all new. Studebaker got a new design in 1947, Hudson and Packard in 1948. The Kaiser and Frazer were introduced in 1946. The Willys Overland came on the market after WW II. It was really the first SUV in my opinion.

1950 to 58 is pretty fuzzy to me but my Godfather had Studebakers back then. A car and a truck for his plumbing business. I remember riding in the truck but canā€™t remember much more detail except it seemed like a pretty smooth ride. In 1958 though he switched to Plymouth. In 8th grade, a teacher was a real Studi fan and had a Hawk I think it was. I still see him once a year or so and we talk Studebakers and the South Bend Museum. Just between us I never really cared for the later styling but would never tell him that out of respect for my elders.

Now that reminded me of the Packards. My 1st and 3rd grade teachers were unmarried sisters and would drive the 90 miles home every weekend. They always drove a Parkard. I think it was about mid year 1956 they had a bad accident on the way home and one was killed. I remember the picture of the car in the paper. The other never returned. I actually canā€™t remember which one but about 5 years ago I saw in the paper she died. Had been teaching about 50 miles away all that time and never came back to even say hello. I guess bad memories.

A little off topic and of no interest to anyone but we or me anyway tie certain cars to history.

1 Like

I hope that the OP enjoys each reply that is emailed to them, post WWII cars are so relevant to the problem that the OP is experiencing.

It is just as easy for a regular member of this board to start a new thread as it is for a new member, yet when a new member posts something that doesnā€™t fit, they are told to start their on thread.

Back to the original question, and a couple of questions for the original poster -
How many miles on the car (and transmission?)
Was the car running or stopped?
When you got back in the car to stop it, was it still in park?
Can you switch the car out of park without putting your foot on the brake?

I agree with the others that you should use a parking brake when parked on a hill, but thatā€™s really irrelevant to your question. If the car was still in park when you got back in then either the pawl is broken or the gear that it catches is broken.
If it does slip out of park, it would be in reverse and typically the compression of the engine would be enough to stop it rolling unless the incline is quite steep.
Normally thereā€™s a solenoid thatā€™s keeps you from switching out of park unless the brake is pressed, so if itā€™s slipping out of park, either that solenoid is not catching or itā€™s not actually in park when you think it is.

1 Like

Might want to rethink that. All the engine compression available will not stop a Honda automatic from rolling. Since a torque converter is not a direct connection to the engine unlike a clutch which is.

2 Likes

ā€¦ which led to some Cadillacs being built with the Buickā€™s slip-o-matic Dynaflow transmission.

Oops - youā€™re right! I need another cup of coffeeā€¦

Cadillac and Olds got Dynaflow, Pontiac got Powerglide

Yup! That is correct, as I recall.

That is correct. I had an uncle who had a 1953 Pontiac that was equipped with the Chevrolet Powerglide. It had a ā€œParkā€ position. A family friend had a Pontiac with Hydramatic. It had no ā€œParkā€ position.
Also, there were a higher percentage of 1953 Oldsmobiles than one would normally expect that came from the factory with manual transmissions.

How many miles on the car (and transmission?)

About 50,000

Was the car running or stopped?

Fully stopped, turned off, for about 10 to 15 minutes.

When you got back in the car to stop it, was it still in park?

Still in park.

Can you switch the car out of park without putting your foot on the brake?

No. The 2012 and 2013 CR-V transmissions were recalled for that. Mine is a 2014.

I guess we are ā€œOld Schoolā€ dinosaurs. On an incline with a curb, like me, you probably not only set the parking brake but turn the front wheels away from the curb on an uphill incline and toward the curb on a downhill incline. Driver training did not exist at my high school but my Father taught me well. I passed his wisdom on to my 2 Sons. Last year I did an informal survey. I checked many parked vehicles on flat and inclined surfaces. Of course there were few M/T vehicles but 8 out of 10 had parking brake set. 8 out of 10 A/T vehicles did not.

I had a very far from stock vehicle with a 1950 Oldsmobile Hydramatic B&M Racing transmission. It also had no park position. Fortunately it had a very good parking brake.

In some locales, one can receive a parking violation for not turning their wheels toward a curb

ok - itā€™s either slipping out of park, not actually in park, or the pawl is not working. It doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s slipping out of park. If it werenā€™t actually in park it seems like you would notice so my guess is thereā€™s either a problem with the pawl or the gear it engages.

One other question - when it happened, did you just set the parking brake or did you try moving the shifter? Iā€™m just trying to make sure it actually was in park. I donā€™t know if this is an electronic transmission or if thereā€™s a mechanical connection. I have heard of broken engine mounts throwing things out of alignment so the transmission isnā€™t in the gear you think it is, but Iā€™d think you would have noticed that.

I donā€™t think the ignition key, if so equipped could be removed if the linkage wasnā€™t in Park.

Itā€™s a used car combined with wear to some extent and possibly even some abuse; as in slamming the shifter into PARK before fully stopping and so on. No idea if the OP is guilty of this or not. Just sayinā€™ā€¦

To me itā€™s better to err on the side of caution rather than have the PD asking questions later as to why a CR-V took off on its own and ran over a couple of kids.

That happened a few years ago in a neighboring small city near here. Two women talking outside, SUV idling, kids playing, and suddenly the car took off backwards with no driver; running over and killing the child of the woman who lived there. Not a CR-V but a GM SUV I believe it was.