2014 Ford Transit Connect Sliding Door Issues-Child Saftey Lock Engaged-Latch Problems

Thanks in advance for any input. Greatly appreciated!

What a nightmare Uhgg. :wink:

2014 Ford Transit Connect Passanger XLT Sliding Rear Door Issues.

I’ll try not to be too long winded yet hopefully leaving enough details for suggestions.

• Initially rear driver side- sliding outside door latch- not working, inside latch did work for opening the door.

• Child safety lock on the same door was engaged while door was open accidentally, door will now not open either inside or outside. (Thanks Bro! LOL)

• We took off both inside sliding door panels to get a closer look. No remedy as of yet.

• We disengaged the child safety lock mechanism (Blue fiberglass/plastic type piece) on the passenger side, outside still works fine however inside will not open. We did this so the child safety lock would not engage accidentally again. We were only able to do this only because the door was already opened.

• The actuators all seem to relay and be working just fine.

***The child safety lock on these doors is located on the back of each sliding door which is currently locked on the rear drivers side. Does not seem to be a way to get to it easily. Any thoughts on how to open?

Any other input or advise? Thanks again!

I would spray some penetrating oil at the door latch mechanism,let it sit a while then try opening the door.

Will try that! Thank you

Verdict, if anyone unfortunately experiences a similar situation.

My mechanic had to break the LATCH ASSEMBLY/LOCK unit in order to get the sliding door open. I found and ordered the new LATCH ASSEMBLY online for $307.

PART # DT1Z61264A27AP

The part ranges from around ($300-450) There is a special tool he also had to use to finish the installation.

My mechanic installed for $437 total with part. Dealership would have been $1000 or much more I was told.

3 Likes

Thank you for coming back and posting the solution, we very seldom get that.

1 Like

I agree, most forum members post issues, but never return to update others with a possible fix.

You joined July 1st of this year

Don’t you feel it’s a little premature for you to be making that statement? :thinking:

1 Like

No because I’ve never posted a comment about something wrong with our van or that I needed help with our van. I’ve only posted comments about what we’ve done to the van which do not need a reply. Furthermore “IF” I had a complaint or concern about our van or any other car, I surely would not post it here.

Why wouldn’t you do that?

It’s worth a shot, imo

You might get a helpful response :smiley:

1 Like

@LostnTransit may well have been reading this forum for some time before joining (presumably to post something ) last week. Perhaps LNT will explain why they wouldn’t normally ask a question about their car’s maintenance & repair needs here.

Somehow I think that Mr. Lostn Transit has a lot in common with the young gentleman that was making a thread about different mods to a Transit Connect, such as Ordering the custom wheels from overseas… Maybe they are the same, maybe not… :man_shrugging:

That might explain why he never had the 1st time poster pop up…

@ davesmopar when I first posted here, my topic was not well received so I deleted. or had it deleted. I was informed that something like a build thread was NOT welcomed here.

OK, I recall that thread now. Threads here are mostly about folks w/ specific car repair problems and ideas how to resolve them. i.e. the same format as the original Car Talk NPR radio program. Not sure the best way to post about long term ongoing projects. There’s a website called “WordPress” as I recall, might take a look there.

…dealing with traffic lights while riding a bicycle or outdoor watering restrictions.

There is a bias against new members, something a moderator should attend to.

2 Likes

This has been an ongoing battle of mine to try and find a home to post this type of information and once I get started things goto hell… members post unwanted comments about my build which isn’t really a build at all. merely a suspension upgrade. Posting on wordpress etc has bene done before… but it’s like talking to myself… There are sites like medium or the one I just tired, Minds and substack as these site allow one to hear my words and the AI system reads my topics to you.

@Nevada_545 I agree and most sites I try to take part in do just theat. Seems they let the number of points they’ve receive goto their heads. the “I’m better than you” attitude. it’s gotten to the point where I’m tired of trying to post anything anymore because I’m just burned out with trying to keep a thread going… I guess it’s best NOT to post anything at all.

I thought that was you, not bad for a guy with a GED and only an associate degree in Automobile Technology from a community college and not a masters or PHD in anything… :rofl:

But seriously, you have to realize that any forum (meaning: a public meeting place for open discussion) is going to have open discussions, and will have members that agree with you as well as thinking it is a waste of time, that will make post interrupting your post as well as going off subject… You can get the word out but you also have to take the good with the bad on any forum you are on… Sometimes it just takes a level of maturity and or thick skin in order to be able to do that, and sometimes that level of maturity only comes with age… And some people never reach it in life… You can only figure out where you are with your own, no matter who you are…

The exception is to being an admin or owner of your own forum, which I was years ago, and make a tread not open to the public and edit it and get it the way you want it then move it over to the public, I have done that on a few RC Hobby builds… Or have the ability (which usually only admins and mods have) lock the thread until your see fit to open it or just leave it locked…

1 Like

So very true, some members treat new members like they are basically idiots for asking questions about things they don’t understand… If they understood everything about their vehicle then they would not have asked the question in the 1st place

1 Like

I had a similar problem at a bicycle repair forum I review/post once in a while. I top-posted something new I had discovered by accident, which made a certain repair easier for a diy’er, thinking this info would be appreciated by forum members. . The forum moderator immediately erased my post, saying only a question and answer format is allowed. Just comes with the territory.

1 Like

@George_San_Jose1 My issue is that no one is willing to step forward and admit they are turning their van’s into little speedsters. Plus I’ve even thought about creating my own forum, but again it would be just me there…

Sorry to the OP as I can’t help with the issue.