2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Nav updates

Why can’t nav systems get updated with micro updates automatically on a daily basis?

Reasonable question. I use Google Maps for navigation now in the vehicles I test and in my own. It updates in real time. Built-in Nav in vehicles is such a bummer. Apples Maps and Waze are two other great alternatives. If your '14 Fusion has Apple CarPlay or Android Auto give it a try. Or use it this way.

1 Like

I would be nice. I have wondered why car time display doesn’t automatically update.

Wonder why it costs $700 TO UPDATE 2017 Rav4 GPS, poor design!!!

On my Outback, all I have to do is to “toggle” between Standard Time and Daylight Saving Time.
Other than that small detail, its link to the government’s GPS satellites takes care of my clock setting.

There is no cellular or other communication between your nav system and the update servers. That falls within the province of apps on your smartphone.

1 Like

I have a wristwatch like that, but it updated to DST/ST by location entered in the watch. But my current F150 is a 2013 and has to be manually changed. No big deal but with all the other technology…
Maybe current FoMoCo products have that included.

Is that the price for a firmware update? The update doesn’t take long.

The map data is on a SD card, a replacement SD card is $169.

IIRC your car has the older Microsoft-based MyFord Touch. It used SD cards to store map data. The manufacturers like to charge people for updates. For vehicles with built-in modems (similar to cell phones) in theory you could certainly update whatever OTA. The upcoming Sync 4 infotainment system will have that built in. For older infotainment systems you still have to update manually by replacing the nav SD card or downloading the update (which you will pay for) on a computer then putting it on a flash drive which then gets plugged into the car’s USB port and it updates from there. One of reasons OTA updates aren’t a thing for older infotainment systems is the aforementioned lack of a modem, and the the rather large amount of data involved. These days nav updates are on the order of 20GB, that’s quite alot of celluar data, and not everyone is willing to have a data plan for their car.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!
I was not really looking for a solution for my antiquated Ford. Seems to me that a reasonable solution would be to have a car equipped with a cellular modem or some comparable facility (such as via your cell phone) that would enable the in-car nav system to receive micro updates. Those updates could easily be prioritized based on frequently travelled locations.and so would be far less than 20 gigs. And it could be done while the vehicle engine is off at night.

My son has a 2018 Jeep Cherokee with no navigation. However, he can connect his cell phone with google map via bluetooth the the car’s information center (or whatever Chrysler calls it), and display the maps there. Map voice commands are also transferred.

I own a 300C and updated my navigation maps a few months ago. Paid ~$170 only to find out that street changes made 2 and more years ago are not reflected in the “latest update”. Rip-off.

I think they have to replace the unit.

That is how your phone works. Why not use that instead? Bluetooth the sound to your car, use Maps or Waze’s voice command to give you turn by turn instructions.

I have an android radio in one car - basically a tablet with an amplifier - that does exactly this but without cell service. It is parked in my driveway a little far from my wifi coverage so updates are a bit cumbersome.