2014 Cherokee Latitude Battery Problem

Thanks. What can I do?

I’m going to say, after reading a lot of the Q&A’s that you are posting and the picture where you don’t have a clue that your tires are all low and the screen even tells you what to air them up to and not even knowing what your CEL looks like, meaning you have never read your owners manual, it will tell you about tire and other maintenance items, and what most any light if not all the lights mean, that you need to find a good repair shop to start taking care of your vehicle needs and that can do most all the repairs
 Sorry, Not trying to be mean, just honest
 Your vehicle(s) will thank you for many more years

3 Likes

In your case, I suggest taking or towing the car to your mechanic, though it also sounds like you need a better mechanic.

1 Like

Ask your friends, coworkers, fellow church goes etc which shop they use for their car repairs, interview of a few of the shop owners from that list, and take your vehicle there for a proper diagnosis & repair. Suggest to avoid jump starts unless it is serious emergency situation. Charge the battery overnight with a battery charger instead. Newer vehicles like yours are chock-full of computer chips and other sensitive & expensive to fix electronics which can be damaged w/jump starts.

1 Like

i think your battery is under pass seat? or is that GC? red/blk probe go on battery terminals.

Isn’t the red lighting bolt on a Dodge/Chrysler product the dreaded TIPM issue?

Just a thought

Even though you put in a new battery it is possible that it is not charged up enough and puts the vehicle into a limp mode. It could have drained just sitting on the shelf for a long period of time. When a battery is not charged up enough it will make your vehicle do all sorts of weird stuff.
I would take the battery to where you bought it and ask them to check the battery to see if it is fully charged. if it is not, they should charge it for you for free.
Then when you put it back in your vehicle make sure all the connections are clean and tight. then start your vehicle and see if it makes a difference. there will be a relearn process that the computer will go through, but you should be able to drive your vehicle.
If nothing changes, then you should have it towed to a reputable repair shop.

3 Likes

This link offers a pretty good explanation. Said to be a pretty common problem as vehicle hits 80K + miles.

Tester

It’s hard to understand why a re-learn would be necessary just b/c a car’s battery went dead. My portable mp3 player still remembers all the songs I’ve downloaded to it even when the battery goes dead. My cell phone photos don’t disappear forever when the battery goes dead. They are still there after I do a recharge. I wonder why critical memory content is completely lost when a car’s battery goes dead?

1 Like

Thanks I did the volt meter test for battery and everything read fine . Now I have to go on YouTube and figure out how to do the alternator test

Well, scratch that the alternator seems to be inaccessible when I follow the battery cable lead damn

My diy’er battery alternator test: Before first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts; then immediately after starting the engine, 13.5-15.5 volts.

You’ve got 4 low tires, a Check Engine light that indicates a problem with the powertrain control system, and a flashing lighting bolt that may indicate a throttle control issue. I doubt you will resolve anything by testing the alternator, although driving with a 10 year old battery certainly didn’t help the alternator at all.

If you lack the ability or equipment to at least check for stored fault codes you can try to disconnect the battery, reconnect it and start over. But I think it’s likely you may need to get the car to a shop.

3 Likes

+1
Here is a link to an old Car Talk discusssion regarding how a bad battery can kill an alternator:

Testing the charging system on today’s modern vehicles isn’t as simple as George makes it sound.

Tester

2 Likes

Common on newer cars, minimum is losing your radio station sets and clock, usually various “learned” parameters. My 06 was simple, with new battery, start the car, allow to idle for several minutes. After that other “learned” parameters that reflect your driving style will be relearned, that has no significant change in performance or transmission shift points.

I read earlier to disconnect the battery cables for at least eight hours and this would reset the adaptive memory. I’ll see if this works

If you think you might have a charging issue then the least you can do is check voltage at idle.

Voltage was checked . It was about 12.4 when not running and something like 14ish when running don’t exactly remember

Well taking terminals off overnight didn’t work

This is the pic with the charging light