2013 VW Jetta 2.0 stalls while at idle after about 5 minutes

I was at the pump getting gas. Left the engine running. Put in my $15.00 worth of gas. Put the cap back. Checked to make sure it was tight. Got back in the car to find that the engine had stalled. I thought maybe just a fluke. Then it happened again a few days later. Same situation. Last night I was sitting at idle (not at the filling station) and same thing. The engine is not running rough --nor is the idle. I seems to take around 5 minutes or so before stalling. It starts right back up no problem. I had a dealer tune-up about 2 months ago. Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, coil, PCV valve, etc. It cost a small fortune. :slight_smile: Any thoughts on why this is happening?

It is possible that you caused a problem with the evaporative emissions system by leaving the engine running while you were fueling the car.
I would suggest that you cease that practice, and–with any luck–the problem will resolve itself.

On the other hand, since the Check Engine Light is apparently not lit up, I could be completely wrong.

I thought that here was a connection to leaving the engine running while fueling the car. The first time it happened there a a small yellow “fuel cap” icon on when I got back in the car . It hasn’t come back on but I will try fueling the proper way.

I thought it is illegal to leave the engine running while pumping gas. Perhaps it depends on the state.

But definitely not safe.

Are you topping off the tank ? Another practice to avoid.

2 Likes

In my neck of the woods, the fillings stations have very prominent signs, telling you to shut off the engine while filling the vehicle

:smirk_cat:

“The Average Person Breaks The Law 260 Times A Year And You Don’t Even Realize It …” This must be one on them. I get the message from now on I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully follow the laws of self-service gas, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."[1]

Well, maybe in your case it was 261 times :slight_smile:

Now, do you have access to a place that would read codes for you. I know the CEL is not on, but seems like the gas cap sign is on, it might be worth checking/scanning.

I do. I will ask them to run a scan. Thnx

had the same problem with my 1999 Dodge Durango for the last five days. Less than two hours ago, I changed the IAC and it runs like a charm.

How many miles? Have you tried cleaning the throttle body?

110k No haven’t tried that

I had the purge valve replaced and that fixed the stalling at the gas pump problem.

Good for you OP. Glad you got your Jetta back to trouble free fill-ups. Yes, the purge valve is a common cause of that problem as reported here.

Many thanks to Cartalk for a similar post. It helped me know it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor! They couldn’t diagnose it for the first 6 months until it finally threw the EPC fail light on the dashboard. Then they covered it. Crankshaft position sensor!!!

Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread @Catherine_Herriman ? This thread doesn’t seem to be about a crank position sensor problem.