2013 Volvo S60 whines after I shut it off

After I pull into my garage and shut off the engine, I usually hear a high pitch whine coming from the engine compartment. I thought it was the cooling fan motor but my mechanic inspected and didn’t find the fan defective. Does any other s60 owner have this problem?

A worned belt could do this.

1 Like

Listen for it at the gas cap. It could be the evaporative emissions system. It may be OK.

1 Like

Hey there! Thank you for replying to my question, which I totally forgot about, sorry!! :pensive:
I appreciate the idea, but I really think the sound is coming from under the hood. I also think I heard it go off a few months ago after I accidentally hit the lock button on my remote key while the door was open? I’m going to have to research Volvo website or service manual. Thanks again! Jim

ABS self-testing and HVAC actuators are sometimes the cause for this sort of sound. An electric fuel pump can make a whining noise too, but I’ve never experienced that occurring after the engine is shut off. Sometimes I’ve heard it before the engine is started though. Some cars have electric vacuum pumps to supply vaccum to power accessories, so if your car is equipped like that, another possibility. No experience with the S60.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these other ideas George! I’m jealous that you’re in San Jose and I’m in chilly CT! :wink:
Your suggestions remind me there are SO MANY parts and systems in these modern vehicles with sensors, electronics, wireless communications, etc., that could be making all kinds of weird noises at random times. I’ll try to keep some better notes about when the noises occur and what else is going on at the same time.
BTW, do you still listen to the old podcasts of Tom and Ray each weekend like I do?! I think their show is still the most reliable HIGHLIGHT of my week!! :rofl::sunglasses::+1:

Yes, I pretty much always listen to the Best of Car Talk podcast each week. Definitely continues to be one my my favorite programs. I’m a more reliable listener now than before it switched to Best of.

1 Like