2013 Volkswagen Passat - VW TDI trickery?

Recall ID :6BEE-FZ7
Why won’t the VW Authorized Dealers state the scope and amount of time to satisfy this recall ?
Is its a RUSE to modify the emission set up on an OEM ( untinkered ) TDI ?

Suggest to either post more info or post a link explaining the purpose of this recall. I’m not seeing anything using Google with that number. I presume this isn’t for problematic air bags, right?

Don’t know about the ruse issue, but that might actually be illegal, federal EPA violation; depends however on what exactly is being changed.

As far as why the dealership won’t say more, maybe they feel offering more information to the customer may not be in their own interest, or they feel it may confuse the customer. Wondering, perhaps this is related to the disputed software functions that aided some VW’s during emissions testing?

I would call another dealer or maybe higher up at VW…

Sought recall particulars from 3 different Authorized VW Dealers ! Same no info run-around !

After you have the recall service performed the invoice for the service should explain what was done.

1 Like

This Passat TDI has not had the Government dictated emission modifications. And performance is very satisfactory. Do not want these changes !
Since this isn’t a one of a kind modification why can’t the changes be explicit.
Since dealers have all specs for this car ie; VIN, Model no., owner, etc. why do they say they need the vehicle in the shop so they can determine the modifications and parts required ?
Surely VW Corp. has specified the parts and dealer required repair time ???

Because to meet the settlement requirements for the massive lawsuits VW had there will need to be records kept of what was done to the vehicle. I fail to understand your problem .

2 Likes

I think I understand now, you like the performance (power) of the TDI and it has not had the “corrected updated emissions” repairs done to it that will lower that performance edge that you really like… I get it lol…

I would get on some Passat TDI forums and see what they have already had done under the recall, you know somewhere out there this has been discussed in depth from the people that are complaining about any performance edge they may or may not have lost…

I did a quick Google “2013 VW Passat TDI performance loss after recall” and got a few hits about the recall performance loss, but I didn’t read through them…

I get it, I would be really fighting mad if I bought a vehicle and then lost power after a recall…

BTW, If you don’t plan on having any work done at the dealer and don’t have emissions testing in your area just ignore the recall…

(and let the appalled replies begin lol)

1 Like

The VW diesel emissions testing problem is not something these folks are gonna go out of their way to talk about, so what you are discovering isn’t unexpected. It seems like your best strategy is to simply refuse to allow any modifications by ignoring the recall notice & not taking your VW to their shop. No idea what – if any – the repercussions of this strategy might be. Google or VW specific forums might have some info on that topic though. Note: The repercussions might be pretty severe, so good idea to investigate for yourself.

Coincidentally, many years ago I had some problems w/VW dealership shop obfuscations. My solution was to take an adult night school auto repair class, purchase the repair procedure manuals, and from then on fix the car myself. Worked out ok for me.

Because VW doesn’t want you to know the details and you do not need to know the details. So why do you want the details??

VW didn’t meet the government regs on emissions and has been directed to fix ALL the cars with this issue. You are driving a polluter and the gummint wants it fixed!

If you don’t want it “fixed”, don’t take it to the dealer, ever. Have normal repairs done at a good local independent shop. Is VW threatening to come and snatch your Passat away and force the recall? If not, quit complaining.

BTW I half expected the OP to post… “Get OFF may LAWN!!” somewhere in that string!

3 Likes

Thank you ! iT appears RECALL is a guise .

1 Like

That is wrong. A recall is an order from NHTSA to the manufacturer to the dealer to fix safety or emission problems that exist on sold vehicles. It is not a guise, it exists to protect the consumer or anyone else that may be adversely affected by your auto… Like loose wheel killing a kid or your car polluting the air we all breathe.

2 Likes

No it is not . Your vehicle was set up to pass emmision standards and VW got caught . Take it in so you will stop polluting the air we breath .

Why isn’t that piece of junk sitting in the desert with the rest of these pieces of junk?

Tester