2013 Toyota Venza - when to swap tires?

I bought my Venza new in Dec. 2012. It only has 36K miles and always parked in my garage. Still have the original tires and plenty of tread. I know that over time the tires deteriorate even though they look great. When should I replace the tires?

Now …

5 Likes

I can’t match Volvo’s level of snark so I’ll try for a factual answer. Michelin says have your tires inspected annually after five years regardless of mileage and never let them go past ten from the date of manufacture. https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html. I replaced a set of Firestones after four years with about 30k on them. That said, it’s probably a good idea to go ahead and replace yours since neither of us knows what condition they’re in or when they were made.

5 Likes

Thanks for your input, Dave

To be fair, even tire dealers say that a tire must be replaced when it is 10 years old, and a 2013 car isn’t 10 years old yet. I would replace the tires once they are 10 years old, unless there are any visible cracks in the rubber–in which case I’d replace them now.

It is entirely possible that these tires are still in excellent condition since the car is kept in a garage, in which case the 10-year limit will be the deciding factor. The DOT code on the sidewall will tell you the manufacture date.

4 Likes

I think I’d be looking to replace them, because they are OEM. In my experience the original tires do not wear very well and have never really made it past about 40,000 miles. Yours may still be OK tread wise because they have hardened some. At your usage rate though you likely will only need one more set of tires so why wait I guess?

1 Like

My rule of thumb: If you live in a hot climate - AZ, TX, CA, NV, and FL - then 6 years is the limit. If you live in a cold climate - MN, WI, ND, MT, and ID - Then 10 years is the limit. States in between are … ah … in between.

5 Likes

Venza is heavy too. Am surprised you have a ton of tread left on Oem tires

Read https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138 and https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=183.

You need to know how old the tire is.

Not how old the vehicle is or how many miles are on the tires.

That’s why you look at the date code on the tire to determine how old the tire is.

Tester

1 Like

IMO, parking in the garage can extend the life of the tires, depending how much time they spend away from the garage. The garage can mitigate heat and sunlight effects, and could extend tire life if you live in a hot climate.

1 Like

Besides heat, sunlight, and miles, there’s ozone. That can degrade tires in areas with high ozone, even out of the sun and heat. That’s how ozone was identified as a pollutant - a warehouse in LA had new tires in storage, they ended up cracked because of the high ozone in LA at the time (decades ago).

Thank you for your input.

Thank you for your input

Thanks for the info

Thanks

My verano’s are 3 and 8 years old. I am in Florida and both seem to lose air pressure over 3 - 4 days of 4 lbs or mor.e I am at the point of defineately needing NEW tire myself . Why risk a blowout or flat tire ?

The Germans apparently change their tyres at 6yrs for optimum safety, but if in good shape you could see how long they`ll last to save money. Just keep a close eye on the condition of the sidewalls, pressures & treads. Probably ok in steady driving. High speeds, temps might be otherwise. If you drive fast make sure you could control a skid, ie skid training/practise. If not change sooner as they probably harden off so have less grip. Depends what balance of risk/grip vs cost you want & how good your originals are - do they grip well in the wet & cold?
Tyres sometimes/often! leak at the rim especially on alloy wheels, might just need cleaning/sealing.