2013 Nissan Sentra - Surprise transmission

Car has 53,000 miles. One week after purchase transmission had to be replaced. Recently, I noticed rust near all 4 tires. Today my daughter sat down in the passenger seat. She had white pants on and the seat of her pants were covered with Mudd when she got out of the car.or it sure looked that way! I am starting to think that my car was damaged in a flood. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum…

Look under the dash for signs of mud, dirty water… like around the steering column, run your hand as far up as possible (be safe)… Most detail shops don’t clean under the dash above the lower panels, you might have to remove the lower panel… Shops will pull the carpet and clean them and the seats, so strange the seat was muddy…

Did insurance not show it as a flood car?? That doesn’t mean it was turned in even if it was…

The transmission is a CVT with a lot of issues, so not surprised…

Body rust around the wheels?? Came from up north maybe…

1 Like

Nissan CVT’s (their automatic transmissions) seem to have some issues, at least by reports here. I’m thinking your 2013 was sold b/c the prior owner knew about this, and decided to unload it before incurring the replacement cost. Now you’ve replaced the transmission, you should be good to go transmission-wise for at least another 5-6 years, so, about all I can say is "buckle up & enjoy your ride ". The other issues you mention are likely of no serious concern. If you want to make sure, have the overall condition of your Sentra assessed by a well-recommended shop, a “general inspection service”. Next time you purchase a used car, recommendations here are to have that done by your own mechanic, prior to finalizing the transaction. A Sentra w/manual transmission is a much better configuration imo, and would make for an excellent selection.