2013 Hyundai Elantra - Used car buying woes

I bought a 2013 Elantra from car lot 3 months ago, I still haven’t received the title, the 3rdtime I went to drive it , it wont move it goes in gear but like being in neutral! I drained the fluid and it was black and smelt burnt! The car lot refuses to fix the car! I believe this car is a lemon, what to do in Oklahoma

Was the vehicle paid for in full? If there is a vehicle loan, the lien holder keeps the title until the loan is satisfied.

If there was no used car warranty provided, it will be up to you to have any repairs performed.

1 Like

Sorry about your loss.
Ten year old Hyundai. Most likely, clearly labeled, As Is-No Warranty.
How was your car labeled?

1 Like

You need LegalTalk, not CarTalk.

Sorry about your problem but this is a legal problem and not a car problem.

1 Like

This isn’t a “lemon”… it was likely someone else’s “problem” that’s most unfortunately become your problem.

Did you have the car checked out by a mechanic before purchasing? And agreed that if the car was financed, you don’t get the title until it’s paid off in full. If you paid cash for the car, and the dealer doesn’t have the title…well that’s another ugly situation.

Sorry about your troubles.

3 Likes

Drained what fluid? Engine oil? Transmission fluid? Did you replace the fluid with the correct specification fluid and the right amount?

1 Like

The term Lemon only applies to new vehicles . Look at your paper work and if it says Sold as is then Purebred states the car lot does not have to fix anything . If you did buy an extended warranty then contact them .

As others have stated, an 11 year old car was almost surely sold “as-is”. In the unlikely event that the car lot gave you a warranty, it would surely have been for no more than 30 days.

Between the age of the car and the length of time since you bought it, I believe that this problem sits squarely on your shoulders. This doesn’t mean that I lack of empathy for you; I’m simply looking at reality, and sometimes reality sucks.

As to the Title document, I don’t know the answer to your question.

2 Likes

Its difficult for the average used-car buyer to notice something like this before buying. So folks here usually recommend the buyer obtain a pre-purchase inspection before buying a used car. Since it appears you didn’t, hmm … well, you might could get some relief by hiring a local lawyer who knows the ins and outs of OK car-law; but imho the shop who sold this car to you didn’t realize it had this problem & you’d be money ahead to just take the car to a shop and ask them to do what’s needed for the repair. It might not be as expensive as you think.

& next time you buy a used car, think “pre-purchase inspection”.

Right , that would be a waste of money.

Lemon laws are for new cars. Dealer warranties are for used, but as is means your risk. Around here though, the owner gets the title but the lien holder is listed on the title and has to have a release before a sale and transfer.

Warranty and title are two different matters. Don’t know about cali.

Was this a tote the note (buy here pay here) car lot??
If it was then in TN they do not report anything to the credit bureau, if that is the case in your state then just stop making payments and let them repo the piece of junk and go to a different car lot and buy one there, however, most of the tote the note car lots have all the rejected cars from the auctions that nobody else wanted, and mostly only sell junk vehicles, at least all the ones I have ever seen… They should be avoided if you are able to, everyone’s budget is different…

Instead of spending thousands of $$$ on an attorney–who likely cannot help you, why not spend that money to fix the car, so you can drive it again? You need a mechanic who can repair or replace the transmission, not an attorney.

4 Likes

In NY, you get the title when you buy a used car with a lein printed on it. When the lein is paid off you get a lein release letter which you or the next buyer can get a clean title with. If the seller here cannot provide a clean title, the sale can be reversed I have no idea how it is done in Oklahoma. You need to find out.

If the car won\t move, how did you get it home?

Unless you have a warranty, you are out of luck with the transmission.

I could be wrong, but I think that the problem cropped-up 3 months after the OP bought the car.

2 Likes

I doubt if the person who started this will return . But it would be nice to know - what kind of used car lot this was - where is this thing financed - did the lot give a reason why they will not fix the transmission.

1 Like

NY is not a title holding state, so a lien will still result in a title (with lien) being issued to the purchaser.

On another note, NY has a used car lemon law for vehicles purchased with under 100,000 and for more than $1,500. Another reason I love my home state!