2013 Honda CR-V - Reduced mileage

I was getting 30+ mpg…now down to 22 mpg…I had new tires, replaced the CRV and spark APLUGS…Added a pint of ATV that they missed on the oil change…

What you missed: Posting the miles on you vehicle and whether or not CEL is illuminated, whether or not spark plugs are exactly the same as OEM.

2 Likes

If you do a lot of short trips, this could be normal; i.e. expected. Caused by colder weather. MPG is less the colder the coolant is, and coolant will be cold much of time during short trips. You could disprove this idea as the cause by measuring the mpg on a longer trip, where the coolant was at normal operating temperature 95% of the time. MPG will still be a little less compared to summer b/c of the colder ambient air temperature, but not much.

For best results, besides make/model/year, good idea when posting here to also include engine and transmission configuration. Also appears to be a typo, so explain what do you mean above by “replaced the CRV”? By “ATV” do you mean the automatic transmission fluid?

2 Likes

George has a point. Could be thermostat or coolant sensor. Have you been maintaining your cooling system with coolant specified by Honda?

1 Like

The Honda CRV is rated at 22 mpg by the EPA.

2 Likes

Additionally, has the ambient temperature dropped significantly in the OP’s region?
Also, do the new tires have the same rolling resistance as the previous tires?
Is the motor oil the correct viscosity?

While high rolling resistance tires by themselves don’t rob a lot of one’s gas mileage, that factor–combined with things like non-OEM plugs, long warm-up times, and maybe a bad thermostat or temp sensor–can all add-up to a significant drop in gas mileage.

2 Likes

Hmmm… 8 days later, and no response to the questions that were posed for the OP.

1 Like

Yep another drive by never to return.

1 Like

Maybe check tire pressure too