2013 Dodge Journey 4-Cylinder shifting issue?

Hello,
I have a 2013 Dodge Journey. It drives well. No issues. No engine codes.
But when you are going uphil, the car seems to jerk or get jumpy. Like it’s struggling. It is an automatic transmission, but if I use the manual shifter to down shift, the issue goes away and it climbs the hill normally. No problem of Jerking. Then once you crest the hill, kick it back into auto, and no issue.
It has been doing this for a long time, we talked to a mechanic and he said possibly the torque converter?
It HAS thrown a code in the past, P0441 for the EVP. Which is usually accompanied by a “Check Gas Cap” Indication, which will clear after a few cycles.

What could be causing this?

When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? Changing it might help if it hasn’t been done in a while or at all.

You might be describing hunting, which some cars do more than others and which might be considered to be normal. Did it ever not do this?

We have regular oil changes done. But as for Transmission, I couldn’t tell you. I will definitely try this.

It has done this since the day we bought it.

10 yrs old. You are original owners? How many miles?

No the original owner, 79,000 odometer when purchased, 83 now.

Drive it under the same circumstances and when it starts doing the jerking use your left foot to tap on the brake just enough to turn on the brake lights while your right foot continues giving it gas and see if the jerking goes away for a short distance, it (the jerking) might come right back as soon as you let off the brake pedal… you might need to get a feel for how much you need to press the brake pedal by backing up to a glass window/door or anything that can reflect so you can see when your brake lights come on…

If it stops jerking when applying the brakes then it is most likely ( a good chance anyway) the TCC (torque converter clutch) clutch (lock up) is releasing in the torque converter…

If that is the case then you can flush the transmission and add a lube guard additive, when I was still doing transmissions everyday we used Instant Shudder Fixx by LubeGard and it worked well…
If the LubeGard doesn’t help then you may have wear in the pressure regulator valve and TCC regulator valve bores causing the issue, if that is the case then the valve body will have to be dropped and a valve body repair kit will need to be installed to correct this unless the converter is to damaged for any of this to be helpful…
Again this all depends on the initial test… Of course there are other things that could be happening, you just have to figure out what it is…
Good luck

1 Like

I will absolutely try this too!

Does lubeguard work in all trans? GM? Chrysler? Toyota?
I mean is it recommended for use in Asian trans?

It can NOT be used in old Ford transmissions that used Type F ATF and can NOT be used in CVT or DCT, but should be ok in all others, I would check their website for complete information…

BTW The pictures they show during the video of the transmission and filling the transmission is not correct…

Instant Shudder Fixx - Lubegard